Remember remember

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Remember remember

Post by Bill Bentley »

Can anybody remember, it might be about ten years ago, when we were discussing disaster scenarios ? There were many options including a pandemic.

Can anybody remember why, one of the main reasons for leaving the EU was the Schengen agreement ?

Does anybody still seriously doubt climate change ?

Well, this pandemic might just enable us to reach our CO2 targets: industry has almost ground to a standstill, people are traveling, especially flying, less and the warm winter has burnt much less fossil fuel than usual.

This pandemic has closed the borders and will stop most travel, especially illegals. In the words of the Chech Prime Minister " we can't wait for Brussels to take action :shock:.

And my advice, from then, remains unchanged Stock up, Stay at home, Stay safe ;).

It will test each and every one of us who is prepared, an old German saying goes 'the dogs bite those at the back' (of the queue / line), so don't wait any longer: Stock up, Stay at home and Stay safe.

Good luck :!: :!: :!:
Pinky
Service details: 1979 JLR RAC. 14/20H then that other regiment. 1979-2003

Re: Remember remember

Post by Pinky »

……..somebody say 'WARM WINTER' :lol:
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Post by Bill Bentley »

Ay up Pinky,

I seem to remember you telling tales of - 20's, 30's & 40's, but that was .... ages ago. As far as I could tell your weather has been much milder than when you joined the northern colonies.

Down here in Spain we are more concerned about drought and sunburn and it's bloody winter :shock:.

If it carries on like this Arnie & Rick will want to be heading back up North, nearer to the happy hunting grounds :lol: .
Arnie
Service details: Enlisted in 14th/20th King's Hussars on 2 Feb 1959.
Served Hohne and Rheindahlen 1959 - 1962
Libya 1962 Cyprus with C Sqn Dec 1963 - Feb 1964. Returned to Benghazi
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Post by Arnie »

Bill, NO I won't!!! We are coming into our Autumn and Winter, so to get warm it's on with the winter woolies. Have just been listening to the Aussie PM lay out the immediate future for all us Aussies. It seems to me that what can be done is being done. It also seems to me that other leaders around the world are instituting the same type of measures.
On a personal note Brenda and I are nearing the end of the mandatory 14 days of self quarantine, after our Grandson Willow, who has recently arrived back from New Zealand, started showing some of the symptoms of the virus. Very glad we had TV and You tube, because we would have gone mad without them. He was tested at the Hospital and we are awaiting the results of those tests.
All you Hawks look after yourselves cos we have lost too many Old Comrades already.
On your point about that 'Al Gore' Scam, Me. I seriously doubt (the word should be disagree) that we, as a species,
are responsible. Yes it does change, BUT it has ALWAYS changed.
There is a much more serious epidemic than Coronavirus, it is the PANIC sweeping the World.
P.S. Willow has just been cleared, so its off to the shops for Brenda

Arnie :roll: :roll:
Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley »

Arnie, just spotted that you are online.

Glad to hear that Willow was not infected and so had not infected you and Brenda.
Yes this social media is a great advantage, it must have been hell, hiding in a cave, when the dino's were out hunting :lol:.

As for the climate you are right, it has always changed, but never in all of history this quickly !

We are too old and knackered to worry about it ... that will be Willow's problem !

Let us see if we can get through this current problem, then we shall know if it was worth being prepared or not 8-) .

Whatever, all the very best to you and yours !
Arnie
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Post by Arnie »

Bill, thanks for your quick response. Questionable about 'Recorded History' tho!!!
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

Bill, thanks for your quick response. Questionable about 'Recorded History' tho!!!

Via con Dios. Arnie