Raising Money for the Regimental Museum

Talk about your time in the Regiment, the KRH, Military Life, Equipment - Let's keep the good memories going.
BobH
Site Admin
Service details: DLOY - 1961 - 1966
14th/20th King's Hussars - 1966 - 1978
RAOC - 1978 - 1988

Raising Money for the Regimental Museum

Post by BobH »

museum-1.jpg
museum-1.jpg (38.58 KiB) Viewed 503 times
The following notice has been received by us from Jeremy Moger. Many of you will recall that Jeremy is known as the host for the Annual Regimental Reunion (South). You should read this in combination with the following letter also displayed here.
Dear Old Comrade,
I am writing to you and those of all ranks that I know to ask as ex-members of 14/20H for your help. First of all I would ask you to read the RACE Weekend attachment, in order for you to get the context of what is being planned.

On first reading, the purpose of the event seems very commendably to be to bring together “old and bold” and their families together with those serving at Bovington/Lulworth with their families, perhaps with others from Tidworth for a fun weekend as outlined.

What is not explained in the attachment are the wider goals of the event which are twofold. If successful, those organising it would like it to be an annual event for us “vets”, families and serving KRH to enjoy. Perhaps more importantly the aim is to try to raise money to donate to
the Regimental Museum who are trying to raise £250k. The reason for this being done is that currently the museum displays the history of the 10 th Hussars, the 11 th Hussars and the Royal Hussars but not our antecedent regiments or the 14/20 H. You may recall that there was
much controversy and disappointment at the time after amalgamation when our (14/20 H) museum was closed down in Preston. The purpose of this fund raising is therefore mainly to make space for and include US. Hence my letter to ask you to help “Crowd Fund” the event.

If it is successful there are plans to replicate the event in Lancashire in future years for those of you up North.

With regard to the event itself, in order for it to be a success and thereafter for it to become an annual event we all need to get behind it. This does not necessarily mean you have to attend it, but I am hoping that you will respond to my request and possibly even come down.

If this first attempt is a success the chances are that it will gather momentum and it will more easily become self-generating in terms of raising the much-needed funds, which will then allow for 14/20H to be represented and displayed in the museum.

The challenge for the organisers (Gary Wills our Assistant Regimental Secretary and Brett Sanders ex RH and KRH) is to find sponsors to cover some of the costs this first time out so that it proves itself. In short if they can cover the cost of paying for the band (£1,000)
stocking a bar (£500) for the weekend and covering the cost of the BBQ (£250) and toilets and showers (£1300) then the money raised in all the activities will be sufficient to donate to the Museum fund raising effort.

Finding a sponsor/sponsors for such an 'In House' event is challenging to say the least. I am writing to you specifically as ex-14/20H to ask you to help me “Crowd Fund” this first event. My aim, through the generosity of us “old and bold” is to try to raise up to £5,000 to sponsor this year’s event.
My request is for you to donate +/- £50 to help me help them, more if you can afford it! Any donation will be an enormous help and I applaud the initiative being taken by Gary and Brett.

Any donation should be made to The King’s Royal Hussars Regimental Association sort code 16-20-16, Account No 11633926. Please could it be clearly marked with 'RACE – Your Name'.

With kind regards,

Jeremy Moger
Regimental Association Camping/Caravaning Event

The Regimental Association Camping/Caravaning Event (RACE) will take place over the weekend of 14-16 June 2024 at Enford farm, Durweston, Blandford Forum DT11 0QW. This is a new Association event and is open to all our Association, their families, and their friends. It is hoped that this will become a permanent fixture in our events list. We also hope to be able to organise this event annually at different locations around the UK. HHQ will organise the first event and thereafter we hope that Association members will volunteer to organise future events. This year we are trying to raise money which will go towards the refurbishment of the Horsepower Museum.

A pitch will cost £25 per night. The breakdown will be £10 to the owner of Enford Farm payable on arrival and £15 to be paid to the Association. Association payment details can be obtained from HHQ when you ring to book your pitch. You can pitch up a tent, caravan, or campervan for this cost. Grey waste and chemical waste facilities are available on site and are a short distance from the camping field. Your pitch will be in a field with no electrical hook up. Portaloo’s, showers, general waste, and a freshwater point will be provided in the field. Dogs are permitted.

Enford farm is ideally placed to visit the Bovington Tank Museum or take a walk or cycle along the Wessex Ridgeway to Lyme Regis in Dorset. If you're into your fishing the river stour is very close to the site and a 20-minute drive will take you to Manor Farm fisheries (see on the fishery website) an exceptional mixed fishing and carp complex, very suitable for children on the match lakes with a very good variety of fishing. Both venues are available with day tickets. The river tickets available from a shop in Sturminster Newton and the lakes at the venue tackle shop. Please click on the button below for more information on local attractions.

If you don’t fancy getting out and about then we are organising some events for adults and kids on Saturday 15 June. These events include, clay shooting, walking the Wessex Ridgeway, falconry and for the kid’s some bushcraft skills.

The outline for the planned events if you wish to join us are as follows:

Fri 14 June
Arrive at Enford Farm and pitch up. You can arrive anytime on Friday. If you fancy leaning into help us set up, then we would be very grateful. We will set up a bar (with limited stock) which will open at 1900hrs. The local fish and chip van will be on site and serving from 2000hrs. We have also organised an Ice cream van for the evening.
The 2 Tone Project www.the2toneproject.co.uk are going to entertain us from 2000hrs. It promises to be a great Friday evening, so even if you live locally then please do join us.

Sat 15 June
Breakfast on site (if you don’t want to cook yourself) will be cooked by Steve Pooley. A cooked breakfast can be purchased from 0730 – 0930hrs. This will be cash or card.
If you want to come along and take part in the clay shooting, then it will cost: £25 for a 50 bird sporting set up on the site, There is the possibility that youngsters can have a supervised experience by prior arrangement with Brett who has suitable shotguns for children. Shotguns will not be provided so please bring your own along with your license and insurance.
If you are planning on walking, we hope to be able to provide some maps with
suggested routes.
Steve Pooley will run some bushcraft lesson in the nearby wood. These will last a couple of hours and are free. These will be designed for kids.
Falconry: A falconry experience will involve a talk on birds of prey and falconry will be available in which people can experience a Harris Hawk, feed it and hold it on the glove, have pictures taken with it, very suitable for children. 
Bar opens at 1700hrs. This will be cash or card.
BBQ starts at 1730hrs. This will be cash or card.
We plan to light a bonfire (smoker) and it is hoped that families will come and join in and make our own fun for the rest of the evening. If you play a musical instrument, then please do bring it along.

Sun 16 June
Breakfast on site (if you don’t want to cook yourself) will be cooked by Steve Pooley. A cooked breakfast can be purchased from 0730 – 0930hrs. This will be cash or card.
Depart Enford farm and enjoy Father’s Day.

If you are interested in attending, then please give the Assistant Regimental Secretary a call to discuss booking your pitch, any events that you may wish to join in and your £15 per night payment. Please DO not contact Enford farm directly to book. The Assistant Regimental Secretary can be contacted on work 01962 828520 or mobile 07772538342.

Gary Wills (Assistant Regimental Secretary)
Bob Harrison

Westhoughton born and Warburtons bred
Pinky
Service details: 1979 JLR RAC. 14/20H then that other regiment. 1979-2003

Re: Raising Money for the Regimental Museum

Post by Pinky »

Hi there,
Very disappointing to read that the 14/20 Kings Hussars are not well represented in their own KRH museum darn sarf.
Extremely disappointing to realize they haven't done nothing significant about it..........since the Preston one closed.
The very typical north south divide is obviously alive and kicking.
Now they ask northerners to help pay towards changing this........gobsmacked.
Looking at this problem from Canada I vote to get our 1420H stuff back up north.

HUSSAR
Pinky
ianneilson
Service details: 1961 JLR, 14/20 A Sqn, Benghazi, Tripoli, Perham Down, Paderborn, B Sqn, Hereford. AAC attached pilot 1976 to 1980. Munster.

Post by ianneilson »

Hi Pinky,
I agree with you. Let's get our stuff back to the north.
Ian.
john kerwin
Service details: A sqn 14/20th Kings Hussars, 5th Troop and SHQ Troop. 1962 to 1966/7 and 2nd RTR, Benghazi tripoli cyprus perham down and omagh Ni

Post by john kerwin »

They have some of my stuff. Can I have it back, up north. :roll: :roll: