armed forces down to 1930 level

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
john kerwin
Service details: A sqn 14/20th Kings Hussars, 5th Troop and SHQ Troop. 1962 to 1966/7 and 2nd RTR, Benghazi tripoli cyprus perham down and omagh Ni

armed forces down to 1930 level

Post by john kerwin »

With the state of the world today. How can the British Goverment allow, the Army Navy and the RAF to fall to it's lowest level, for just short of 100 years. And more cuts to come. MADNESS !!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Re: armed forces down to 1930 level

Post by Bill Bentley »

John,
the best way to provoke an attack is to let your guard down !

What with the housing shortage, over full schools, over loaded NHS, over burdened Police and fire Services, what better excuse to send a million citizens overseas is there than to have a war ?

Governments rarely 'change hands' during a national crisis, interesting timing with an election on the cards.

Germany is in exactly the same situation as are several other countries in geographical Europe, the EU and the USA !

Anybody taking bets ?
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Post by Bill Bentley »

Guys,
I guess you will like the new idea of perhaps reintroducing National Service :shock: !

Personally I don't rate draftees who don't have enough time to get properly trained before being sent to the (any) front. That's exactly what we moan about when the Russians do it ... cannon fodder, yesteryear beacons yet again.

That said a form of National Service would certainly wake up a lot of our snowflake kiddy-winks ;) .
But this is no way to replace a professional armed services.
There could however still be positives to be had out of this idea ...

Compel all able bodied people, who are not in 'essential trades' to enlist in one of the Military or Public Services, especially those who are arriving from overseas !
This could have the following benefits:
It would deter further would be immigrants.
Solve the recruiting problems in the NHS, Ambulance, Police & Fire Services.
Get people off the streets and into work.
Get people off the dole, etc. etc. etc..

I have other ideas but ... :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
john kerwin
Service details: A sqn 14/20th Kings Hussars, 5th Troop and SHQ Troop. 1962 to 1966/7 and 2nd RTR, Benghazi tripoli cyprus perham down and omagh Ni

Post by john kerwin »

The armed forces Boss man, has said the UK needes a citizens army ?. Has also pointed out the Government needs to put it's money, where it's mouth is. Not in those words. but same meaning. As all the services are under funded. And stretched to the limit. He also said, we are more at risk now than at any time since the end of WW2. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I know i'm an old git :D :D . but would sign up to grandads army in a flash . :lol:
Arnie
Service details: Enlisted in 14th/20th King's Hussars on 2 Feb 1959.
Served Hohne and Rheindahlen 1959 - 1962
Libya 1962 Cyprus with C Sqn Dec 1963 - Feb 1964. Returned to Benghazi
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Post by Arnie »

Hi yall,
You are right all of you! Here he goes again. When I was in Hong Kong with Paddy Wilson, at the time in the Int Corps, nobody wanted to engage militarily with China, as they still are today. WHY? They had, in 1971 a standing Army of 2,000 000, a Reserve Armed Militia(had their weapons at home) of 10,000,000, and an Unarmed Militia of 200,000,000 (that may have been 100,000,000. Memory is not as sharp as it was). In my opinion, Xi has the same, probably bigger, army which is equipped very, very well, with modern weapons. Did anyone see that YouTube film of the recent parade celebrating some event or other by the CCA? It took Xi, in an open-topped limo, in excess of 5 or 6 minutes to review them all.
We, the Commonwealth, and the whole of NATO, even the UN, would not stand a chance. What chance would Vivak (and all the Chamberlains in the Govt) do then?
Pipe dreams about the return of National Service. It is far too late! Some of the eligible people would volunteer out of patriotism, but not the majority.
The conscripted ones would be very difficult to train. Colchester MCTC, or many of them would have to be established and manned. In my opinion it would take at least half of the current Armed forces to train, and instill discipline in some people who have never, ever had any discipline. All the problems of the generation chosen would have to be erased if it could be achieved at all, AND why should the Armed Forces have to clean up the problems, let's face it, created by society?
Another massive problem would occur when you consider the state of the FEMINISTS. They would have to be considered, the mind boggles what their reaction would be!!!
That's my opinion, sorry.

Hoping to keep the peace. Stay safe and well.

Arnie