New Community Page

Talk about your time in the Regiment, the KRH, Military Life, Equipment - Let's keep the good memories going.
Pinky
Service details: 1979 JLR RAC. 14/20H then that other regiment. 1979-2003

Re: New Community Page

Post by Pinky »

Howdy,
Arnie you have an excellent memory. We too enjoyed the East Berlin delights mainly the restaurants such as Hotel Stadt Berlin, Café Moscow and the Ganymed. What was the ex German Army WW2 brothel restaurant called it was close to the river????
In the lift up to the 37th floor we met some embassy officials of the Libyan variety.........then once in the night club we almost started a diplomatic incident as we grouped to sing loudly something like 'Gadiffi is a wa%ker'.....the staff suggested we leave - so we did as we realized how upset these chaps had become. Once we were borderline late because the RMP's had passed our paperwork to the Americans so we got lucky. What was your best exchange rate Arnie - we very occasionally 13 to 1. Oh happy days.

ATB
Pinky
Arnie
Service details: Enlisted in 14th/20th King's Hussars on 2 Feb 1959.
Served Hohne and Rheindahlen 1959 - 1962
Libya 1962 Cyprus with C Sqn Dec 1963 - Feb 1964. Returned to Benghazi
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Post by Arnie »

Hi Pinky,

The highest East Marks to West marks in the mid-70s was 4 to 1. Seem to remember in 1960 when I visited B Sqn in Berlin for 4 days it was 22 to 1, tho that might have been the exchange rate BAFVS (Pound Stirling) to West mark was 22 to 1. For you latter-day soldiers BAFVS were British Armed Forces Voucher System. It was to all intents and purposes exactly equivalent to Pound Stirling and could only be spent in the NAAFI or the Social Clubs which abounded in all barracks in BAOR.

My CO in part of my long tour in the seventies was a ballet lover so he used to organise excursions to the StaatsOper Haus in the Unter Den Linden. He did us proud, the table was booked for drinkies at half-time. Russian Champagne (all that was available and horrible stuff). He must have heard me talking about 'all these puffs poncing about on the stage with half a football stuffed down their tights' (long before I realised the truth and change my ways) because he never included me on any more excursions. I was, naturally, devastated :D :D :D

Talking of the of the Staats Opera Haus, in one of my latest submissions talking about going into East Berlin and occasionally being allowed to stay after 0200 hrs, we did it regularly whenever the GDR were going to have a May Day parade or in Oct for their remembrance of the October Revolution. Obviously, the parade itself was held during the day but they held rehearsals starting at Midnight. It was a good time to recce their route, from whichever barracks they were temporarily staying in to the actual parade form-up spots designated.
We were not interested in the parade but we wanted photos of all the latest equipment, tanks missiles and such. So we recce the routes to find out the spots where they slowed down for any reason, corners and such. On the Day itself, we had photographers at all these points getting close-ups of anything of Int use. It is amazing the info that is useful to the Boffins from a very good HD photo.
For the purposes of trying to fool the STASI, we would get our Coy Photographer to attend the parade itself. He would be surrounded by very tall British Infantrymen, countering their tall men 'blockers.
On these nighttime trips, I would be in the Coy VW Bus alone, as central control I found what I thought would be a good spot, on the forecourt of the StaatsOper Haus. It was boring until midnight when I realised that this was the form-up area for the Naval Contingent who were milling about forming up the same as we do, when I noticed a STASI Officer, green piping on his hat and Uniform, circling my vehicle, taking photos of me from all directions.
He stayed for as long as I stayed, which was until 0400 hrs. I did consider winding the window down and engaging him in conversation using my limited colloquial German but soon gave that idea away.

The Ganymede Restaurant, to my recollection, served the best food in East Berlin. It was really old school and they tried very hard. They even had a 3 piece Orchestra that had a great sense of humour. Whenever we walked in, in uniform, which as you will remember was compulsory, whatever they were playing, they would stop and strike up with "God Save the Queen". It really pissed off the Party Members who seemed to be the only ones who could afford to eat there.

On the subject of a Wehrmacht Brothel, no luck I am afraid. If you would like to do some internet research, bring up Google Earth Pro and seek out Berlin. Go to the street level and tour the area where it might be because Google are very straitlaced about brothels and try and hide them behind a blurred image. Of course, I did my research on the ground, you just have to use your 'mouse', and they have done you the service of researching these tourist spots. :lol: :D :lol: :D :D :lol: :D
Pinky

Post by Pinky »

Arnie,
Got the word out and an ex 1420H officer thought the ex brothel then restaurant might of been the 'Amelia Haus' ??
Ring any bells??
Pinky

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A ... vuaHph3_FM
Arnie
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Post by Arnie »

Pinky,

there are about a dozen Amelia Hauses in Berlin and the only one near the river is in Rheinhardt Str. Don't recollect the name personally but the building that is called Amelia is on this street was in East Berlin. Looking at it did bring back memories then because I looked up on Google Earth Pro several years ago because it was one of the 4 Flak towers built around Berlin City Centre.

The story is that apparently Hitler had them built by the Wehrmacht as an indestructible set of Block of towers to house lots of 88mm Flak guns on the roof. They were solid, extremely thick concrete structures and the men operating them were housed in the buildings below.

Indestructible they proved to be for they were still standing at the end of the war, with minimal damage. The one in question is apparently the only one remaining simply because it was in East Berlin and could not be demolished which was considered a waste of their limited resources. If you study the photo of this one it has very small windows and even today it still looks impregnable, if somewhat rundown and dilapidated, with graffiti marring the walls.

I would imagine that as it was so secure it would have had a part of it occupied as a brothel. The soldiers were safe so the girls would have been safe. If it is the establishment under discussion I have no doubt the Soviets kept it on as a going concern.

Sorry Pinky that I could not be of more help. :D :D :D :D :D
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Post by Bill Bentley »

Well, well, well ...
I never served in Berlin, though I first entered the East in 1979, courtesy of an American Ranger friend in Dixi.
Thereafter I was a regular visitor and by 1996 I was living full time in Berlin. As coincidence would have it my office was about a hundred meters from the aforementioned Bunker on Reinhardt Strasse. I was a 'General Builder' in Osnabrück and, through a friend, was invited to become an investors private 'Bauaufsicht'. He had the complex: Schumann Str 17 - Luisenstr 47-52 built and I 'checked that the builders were doing their job properly'. After completion I was offered the job of Maintenance Manager and later became the General Manager, my office was directly on the corner. Amongst our clients were senior German Politicians, Press reporters and foreign diplomats. I became a friend to the Ukranian Gesandter and the Taiwanese Minister of Culture, later their Minister of Education. My company also serviced their offices - cleaning and maintenance etc..
Knowing such people I was a regular guest at their national cultural events. My also being at first the Treasures and later the Chairman of the RBL I was 'on the invite list for most British Embassy events' and a guest of honour at the Allied Forces: US, French and German Memorial events etc. etc..

My first wife had left me and took the kids, so I was alone and earning good money. The only Porsche that I ever owned was stolen within a month but it seemed to make me into an irresistible magnet to pretty girls. I never needed to visit any of your 'houses of ill repute' but for a party one could 'invite per phone' company for friends ...
I had a small garden on one of the islands in Tegeler See and many a long weekend was had testing my stamina in all physical disciplines.

Bob, I was also a canoeist of sorts, won the divisional white water race, from Herford, under Rick Aindow's instruction. So the island was a great base for canoeing tours around Berlin. I regularly did 50 km per day ... but being alone always had to get back to base which limited my range. Though I did get out onto the other larger lakes when friends came to visit. There was some pretty rough water when it was windy and my canoe was over 5 meters long, built for speed not rough water, - sometimes very interesting ! In winter, after the Legion had closed on a Friday night I would head for my garden. It was only a few hundred meters to the island from the shore, but the shoreline was often partially frozen. So I would slide my canoe out using my knuckles until the ice broke, then paddle across accelerating approaching the other shoreline. I often had to make several runs at the shore before I got up onto the ice and could then shinny myself to a jetty and clamber out. Many fond memories of my ten years of so in Berlin.

Arnie, what about some details of NZ !
BobH
Site Admin
Service details: DLOY - 1961 - 1966
14th/20th King's Hussars - 1966 - 1978
RAOC - 1978 - 1988

Post by BobH »

Of course when visiting Staats Oper or Kömische Oper we were required to wear uniform. Often this was chosen to be Mess Kit.

On one occasion I was in the foyer awaiting the return of a friend from the loo when I was approached by a group of young East Germans who asked if I could direct them to the toilets! Luckily I saw the funny side of it and, somehow, we became temporary friends.

I was fortunate to be at the Staats Oper to see Bolshoi Ballet doing "The Golden Age" (Dmitri Shostakovich) which included the theme music from "Tea for Two". Spartacus (Aram Khachaturian) was often performed there, and famously a great rendering of Carl Orff's Carmina Burana.

Principal ballerinas were Monica Lubitz and Steffi Scherzer, later to become Director of Tanz Akademie Zürich. At the Kömische the leading ballerina was Jutta Deutchland but this theatre was a great place to suffer Wagner!

With the exchange rate as it was a 4-course dinner could be had for less than a tenner in restaurants close to Unter den Linden!

staats-0.jpg
staats-0.jpg (103.82 KiB) Viewed 1136 times
staats-1.jpg
staats-1.jpg (166.26 KiB) Viewed 1136 times
Bob Harrison

Westhoughton born and Warburtons bred
Pinky

Post by Pinky »

Howdy,
B squadron went canoeing in Denmark approximately 1982.
We practiced in the river Aller prior, doing escape drills and working on turns etc.
Dave Little and George Kirk were our glorious leaders. No idea of the route we paddled but each afternoon we would stop, camp and hit the town or village for some Red Eric. WE did some sea paddling by the Isle of Fano, quite close to the nudist beach for some reason or other :).
What a great time we had, we basically did a canoe version of a pub crawl........nothing new there. HUSSAR.
Pinky
Pinky

Post by Pinky »

Arnie

Post by Arnie »

Hi Yall and Bill,

In answer to the question posed for more details about NZ, here goes.

First and foremost the trip was similar in dramatic, sometimes funny, events.

Jason my stepson had been/is married to a Maori and they have one child, a boy of 5. She took off with him for what he was led to believe was a holiday in New Zealand, taking the boy with her, and has no intention of returning. They are still on fairly amicable terms so when it came time for his 5th birthday we, Brenda and I and Jason planned to be there. We were going to spend 10 days there and see some of the sights.

As my eldest daughter lives there with my grand-daughter now in Masterton, a relatively small town north of Wellington, which co-incidentally is where Tracy and Willow live with her parents. Good opportunity to visit, right?
Judge for yourselves!

The drama started just getting to NZ. We chose Jetstar, the cheapest flight, you know the utilitarian type, feed yourself, carry your luggage, and like a can of sardines. It went from Perth via Melbourne (changed planes so luggage off, through ckeckin, then Gold Coast, just south of Brisbane in Queensland, (change planes again, luggage off, check-in again,) then on to Wellington.

First drama was in Melbourne, where Jason misplaced a folder in which he had his passport and ALL his money. Did not miss it till we were on the plane, doors shut and the demonstration of 'safety' was being given. Gangway had been removed and the plane was backing out of the gate, when Jason said, loudly, "Stop! I have to get off the plane". We explained the situation to the Cabin manager, he went to speak to the pilot, plane stopped, doors were re-opened, a set of stairs had to be brought forward and Jason got off. Raced away, short story, found his folder, complete with passport and money.
He messaged us to that effect and started to organise a later flight.
The Cabin Crew Manager had made an announcement over the tannoy about the reason for the delay, but apologised for the delay and asked for everyone to be patient.
I informed him that Jason had found the missing folder, so he asked me to phone Jason. He was standing there when we connected with Jason. He took the phone into the cockpit so that the pilot could speak to Jason and told him that if he could quickly get back to the plane it would wait for him.
Jason of course raced back, nearly a Km, back to us. They brought the gangway back to the plane and all the flight and cabin crew were on top of the gangway when Jason appeared, waving him on. Meanwhile they had to put our luggage back in the luggage bay ( They have to take a passengers luggage off if any passenger leaves a plane.) ALL the passengers applauded when Jason finally sat down in his seat, though he was coughing his guts out for a good 20 minutes. Uneventful journey to Queensland. The Cabin Crew Manager, now on first-name terms said, he had been in the Aviation Industry for 25 years and had never heard of nor experienced a plane doing that, even for a Celebrity.

Minor drama there but will not bore you with it

We had done all the preparation for the trip on the Internet including the booking and paying for a hire car from a coy close to Wellington Airport.
When got there it was an Electric Nissan Leaf (never heard of it.) None of their literature said anything about the type of vehicles they provide, they only had E Cars Lovely looking car, nice, powerful car.Would not accept one as a gift. I believe the Hybrids are alright but the pure E Cars are rubbish. Alright for pottering around Wellington or any city where the infra-structure to charge the battery is well established. 208 kms on the charge metre when we drove out of their yard, 68 kms when we reached Masterton.[/b]

Because of that car we saw very little of the North Island and nothing of the South Island. As it pissed down most days and very, very cold (remember we were from Western Australia, where it was also winter but there you wear a sweater during the winter season). Because of the rain I changed my name for NZ from 'Land of the Long White Cloud' to 'Land of the Long Grey Cloud'. Our Accomodation was the self-catering type. so, although we had Willow with us the whole time, we were almost exclusively confined to the accommodation. Some holiday.
The people are so kind, it was embarrassing, even Tracy's huge family.
Example, exchanging money is almost impossible because of the bank's/government regulations. I went into a branch of my Bank in Masterton and was almost at the end of my transaction when she asked me for ID, Australian drivers license duly shown. Oh! we can't do it our Government doden't allow it. So no NZ money. We parked in the main street of Masterton and walked away, never noticing the parking meters. I was waiting outside a shop for Jason when I noticed a Parking Warden checking cars. I approached him and explained we had no NZ coins. As I was talking to him 3 women approached and asked, I think the Warden, "Is this man bothering you?" The warden explained my situation to them and all 3 women immediately reached into their pockets and gave all their change. Before I left to put some newly acquired NZ coins in the meter the Traffic Warden reached into his pocket and gave me all his coins. As I walked away he said, "I should be taking money from you and not giving you money". It happened again before we left. In a supermarket, I was short 10 cents so the guy behind me gave the cashier the 10 cents.
The country, what little we saw of it was stunning and must be a great place to visit in the SUMMER

Our return journey was a dream run. Although booked by JetStar, the actual carrier was QANTAS and via Sydney only.

The drama carried on though. The night after we had arrived back in Perth, Tracy, Willow, and his elder brother Jack (23) down from Qld with his sister (21) and her partner went from Masterton to Wellington where they were having Maori Festival (I think they call it Maraniki) with fireworks and shows around Wellington Harbour. Willow, being a 5 y.o. was being chased, as kids do in between the spectators. He went to sit down on the low wall at the harbours edge, which was none existent at the point he went to sit down on. Huge drop into the murky water, pitch black at that time of night. Matt, the boyfriend of Charlie immediately dived in accompanied by Jack. They could hear him splashing, but could not see him. Almost everyone in the crowd turned on their phone torches to illuminate the water still no luck. Then Matt felt something and grabbed it. Yes it was Willow, about to go down for the third time. He was hauled out and taken to one of the Ambulances on standby for the festival. He was laughing and joking with the crew in 5 or 6 minutes.
When we were alerted to the drama, Brenda nearly died of shock. Despite not being able to swim, he was a water baby, but everyone connected with him have vowed: "get him swimming".
Bill, sorry for the length of this, but you did ask. ;) :)
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Post by Bill Bentley »

Bob,
the investor that l mentioned had an appartment in 'his complex' and regularly visited. He sometimes asked me to get him and his guests tickets for the Staats Oper at 500€,- per seat ... 20 years ago.
l hope that you were not paying that much !

Some of the tallents from the Friedrichstatt Pallast also lived in our complex so l could get in there 'on the cheap' and whilst l was very impressed with the functions of the stage sets etc., all that poncing around really was 'not for me'.

More recently l have regularly attended our local Auditorium to listen to classical music ...
But l have to conclude that much of what l have endured was composed by very confused madmen. l shan't be renewing my membership next year !

I guess all that spit and polish done whilst at JLR just couldn't put a shine on me, l'm still as common as muck.

Arnie,
man are you sure that was a holiday and not a Hellaway ? And l thought that all Aussie kids could swim ... but perhaps things changed after Rolf Harris, who l thought was a great tallent !?! Makes one wonder about his musical motives too ... tie me kangeroo down sport.