Solutions: Migration

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Solutions: Migration

Post by Bill Bentley »

We are given to believe that the UK is being overrun by migrants and by all accounts the majority are single men.

To take advantage of this situation and perhaps help to ease the pressure in another field, how about this:

All unskilled migrant males MUST, at the age of 18 and over, enter military service !
Within the military they MUST learn to speak, read and write english parallel to getting fit and learning basic infantry skills. Within a year they either pass out to the School of Infantry Basic Training Units or get returned to their country of origin.

If they complete the SOI basic training and pass out to a dedicated infantry regiment and then complete a further 5 years in an infantry regiment they will have earned the right to become a UK Citizen. Should however they fail to complete the 5 years regular service they are then again returned to their country of origin.

After 5 years in the infantry, if there are no vetting issues, they could be allowed to transfer to other Corps and serve for as long as they wish, all the way up to ‚extended service‘ if they have the appropriate skills.

A bit like a British Foreign Legion …
The idea alone might be enough to reduce the numbers arriving !
Arnie
Service details: Enlisted in 14th/20th King's Hussars on 2 Feb 1959.
Served Hohne and Rheindahlen 1959 - 1962
Libya 1962 Cyprus with C Sqn Dec 1963 - Feb 1964. Returned to Benghazi
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Re: Solutions: Migration

Post by Arnie »

Hi Yall,

brilliant in concept but I have 2 major concerns with it:

1. NATIONAL SERVICE, I think many of us who served in HM Forces would agree that some sort of National Service would have been marvelous, in the recent past, for the youth of today, (meaning UK youths) but one of the counters to this argument always was, why should the Army be tasked with sorting out social problems, which would be massive? I believe it would be harder with 'single men migrants'.

2. Would it be wise to train and arm soldiers whose loyalty would be very, very suspect? The way things are going in the UK at the moment with budget cuts and reductions in numbers of the Armed Forces would cast doubt on whether they could handle an invidious superior force, particularly if it out-numbered our own boys.
Should any one of them create an organised entity from these 'migrants' I think difficulties certainly would arise. No doubt the RMP would have to be quadrupled to chase any recalcitrant soldiers of which there would be many!
I suspect many of the 'migrants' would have been trained anyway, and the rest would be running away from the Army.
Make it very very hard and your last line might prompt a voluntary return of the people already here!!! A documentary of the SAS Training I think would achieve the same results if it was to be announced that this was on the cards. Question, isn't the French Foreign Legion fiercely loyal to the Legion first and foremost?

Look forward to your response :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Re: Solutions: Migration

Post by Bill Bentley »

Hi Arnie,
nothing ever works without its problems !

That's why l suggested 'lnfantry' and not Corps, until their loyalty and ability are proven.
Like the FFL, always first in and last out of the dirtiest operations.
Afterall they must earn their status as a 'Brit', which is apparently what they all want to be.
Of course if this is too much to ask for ... the door is always open to ... 'go home' !

l well realise that this does not fit in with the pussy politics of our times, nevertheless it could be a solution ... if many then no longer wanted to come here.

As for loyalty within the Legion (FFL) ...
When l was Chairman of the RBL Berlin, we were intigrated within the Bundeswehr Reservisten and they had a dedicated departement for their FFL Old Comrades ... going back to the end of WWII and IndoChina or Vietnam as we later better knew it.

The smoke screen was of course one of fierce internal loyality, but when you got to know the individuals they are as bitchy to one another as any dozen Hawks are after a few drinks. Of course we would always support a Hawk when talking to a Lancer or Tankie, but still beg to differ amongst ourselves. Real friends are as rare as rocking horse manure, amongst us and in the FFL OCA. Though there are always the exceptions.

I understand that the 'Hell's Angels' was formed from a group of 'old comrades' !