The good old days

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

The good old days

Post by Bill Bentley »

Bearing in mind that almost all of us are senior citizens and so, it's fair to say, have a balanced view on life, I want to ask when were your best years ?
When you didn't have a care in the world and life was good !

I simply can't help thinking that the present pandemic situation is being distorted, for what ever reasons :?.

Only you know when your best years were. Here are a few numbers to try and put things in perspective, for YOU:

Taken from the total death rate per 1,000,000 head of the UK's population, because of the ever increasing number of people, the only relevant way of presenting such a statistic and extracted from the UN's own World Population Statistics:

Year. Deaths per million (on average roughly 1% every year)
1950 11282
1955 11695
1960 11697 *
1965 11794
1970 11789 *
1975 11873
1980 11844 *
1985 11656
1990 11402 *
1995 11053
2000 10453
2005 9858
2010 9238
2015 9179
2020 9413 to date.

The point being, if you felt good in 1960, '70, '80 or '90, there is no point in worrying about this silly virus, even if the numbers have 'returned to their 100 year average' or thereabouts.

Eat drink and be merry, that's our aim :roll:
Pinky
Service details: 1979 JLR RAC. 14/20H then that other regiment. 1979-2003

Re: The good old days

Post by Pinky »

Howdy,
If and I repeat If this Covid 19 is a hoax then it would appear the whole world has been 'had'. Every scientist, doctor, medical expert from the worlds most powerful nations etc have been fooled....... so I doubt it. There is definitely a virus out there IMO.
Stay safe and enjoy what you've got.
Pinky
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Post by Bill Bentley »

Hi Pinky,

how right you are: "Stay safe and enjoy what you have got"!

I chose my words fairly carefully, didn't use the word Hoax or the phrase Fake News ;).

I agree and entirely accept that there is a new virus out there, probably more aggressive than the usual viruses like the 'Cold & Flu' which also kill many thousands every year.
It is the almost panic like reaction, world wide, that I don't quite get :? .

There is one common denominator though and that is: that all governments are able to claim 'a state of emergency' and during this 'emergency' they can do things that would otherwise be impossible, like:

Getting rid of cash, making everyone use cards to stop the spread of the virus.
This makes money totally controllable and taxable, which government would not want that ?
But it's the control that's worrying, because you can be totally neutralised at the flick of a switch.
Then there is the 'stalking' how THEY follow you through your mobile phone, which you almost always have to have with you to confirm payments
You also always have to accept 'terms and conditions' which it is almost impossible to understand.
Did we not always get warned never to sign up to anything that you have not read and understood ?

UNDERSTANDING:

Looking at the numbers in my opening mail demonstrates clearly exactly where we are at: Heading for or just above the lows of the past few 'record low years', perhaps reaching or just exceeding the average of the recorded data that we have.
Is that justification for the restrictions which are destroying the world economy ?

Having record numbers of new infections tells us nothing, because we are testing ever more. Many who have been identified as being 'infected' have themselves few or no symptoms, so the only measurable result is death - look at the numbers again !

Science is: 'Systematic and formulated knowledge', there is NO KNOWLEDGE of this new virus, they are still studying it, it must be tried, tested and proven, before the KNOWLEDGE can be formulated. Those doing this work are by no means in agreement as to how it will evolve; at this point in time everything is speculation !

Yes to masks to protect others.
Yes to hand washing and other hygiene measures to slow down the spread.
Yes to limiting mass gatherings.

No to removing the right of families to enjoy a normal free life and earning a living to support themselves ;)
Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley »

Here is a link to some news that I find interesting, because it supports my point of view rather well.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -got-wrong.

Enjoy 'understanding' my version of things in this matter ;) ;)
Arnie
Service details: Enlisted in 14th/20th King's Hussars on 2 Feb 1959.
Served Hohne and Rheindahlen 1959 - 1962
Libya 1962 Cyprus with C Sqn Dec 1963 - Feb 1964. Returned to Benghazi
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Post by Arnie »

Bill, I keep saying ad nauseum that you are more than usually RIGHT, and in this instant you prove my point yet again. Wonderful article and reinforces my opinion on this spamdemic. I am afraid we will be disappointed if we believe that we should expect 'honesty' from the people who we, the people, put in place to govern on our behalf. After all we are referring to POLITICIANs and (un)Civil Servants. Sorry, I have been watching replays of 'Yes, Minister' and 'Yes, Prime Minister'. so my critical sense of synicism comes very much into play.

Arnie :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Arnie
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Post by Arnie »

Sorry, in the third line I should of typed after (un) Civil Servants/(so called) 'Experts'.
Pinky
Service details: 1979 JLR RAC. 14/20H then that other regiment. 1979-2003

Post by Pinky »

Howdy,
Up until 10 days ago I didn't know anybody with Covid19. Since then a family member in Blackpool and about 21 in my town.
Its real.
Pinky
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

Sorry Pinky, but the Article referred to by Bill makes it perfectly clear that this CONVID 19 is just a flu, a severe flu, a different strain of flu, but a flu never the less. Worldwide the flu kills more per year than has died so far of CONVID 19. If you research it you will find that the vast majority who 'died' of CONVID 19 died of flu. But early on in the scamdemic autopsy's were dispensed with. I wonder why?

Also it is interesting to note who will hold the patents for the eventual 'cure'. There is, and has been a very effective cure for it, Hydrochloroquine, (developed over 70 years ago to cure Malaria, and therefore patents have expired), on the market. Its effective in a large percentage of cases but it is cheap. The shareholders in the large pharmaceutical companies don't hold the patents. Therefore it has been banned from use by Governments(?) on the advice of Experts(?).
The wife, Brenda, early on in the piece had one or two of the symptoms so our Doctor PPE'd up and made a house call, where he insisted on giving us both a Flu jab. Symptoms GONE in days.

Just my thoughts on the matter. But the world has gone to hell in a hand-basket and it will take ages, if ever, to recover, and will make certain people even RICHER.
Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley »

Delighted to see the usual suspects are active again :lol:.

We are currently in Murcia, Spain and the new lockdown is much more sensible than the first one. We are allowed to go shopping, to restaurants and to the beaches, of which we have 28 in our borough 8-), but we can't leave our borough :?: This does not bother us in the least as we have recently returned from Granada and then went riding horses down in Andalusia all the way into the Med :roll: . That was a first for me, on a horse in salt water :) boy was I happy !

I still get out on my RE Bullet whenever I fancy. The police are all surrounding town and don't have the time to catch freedom loving solo riders. It would be impossible to infect anybody from a motorbike anyway and there are vast unpopulated areas here in Spain.

I have recently made contact with dear old Jim & Debbie Broom who live just down the road.... In a different borough... but we plan to get together asap. My thanks to Trev & Cath Jones for helping restore the contact.

That's the upside of this nutty situation.... we have time to search out old friends... time which we never had before ;) ;)

HUSSAR :!: :!: :!:
Woods 27
Service details: Served Jan 1975-Aug1987

Herford Cyprus Bovington Hohne Northern Ireland Catterick

Post by Woods 27 »

Bill'

Just imagine the last poor sod to die from this disease how unlucky :( :( :( I wish I was more educated and have found a cure someone out there has one and it will make them very very rich I have mentioned before somewhere watch the shit hit the fan when it reaches Africa and the Asian sub continent well it has broken out in Bangladesh and sub Sahara also Brazil has a huge problem with it the only way it affects me is missing football :( :( :( well everyone take care and maybe we will have a reunion next year and raise our glasses to the Hawks in the tank park in the sky there are too many funerals that we have missed because of the restrictions imposed on us. :( :( :( .

YOU SIGN PHIL JONES :-( :-( :-( WE SIGN KUN AGUERO :-) :-) :-)
C.T.I.D. :-) :-) :-) ⓜⓒⓕⓒ I WAS THERE WHEN WE WERE SHIT ¿? ¿? ¿?