David William Salt

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
JoeFlaherty91
Service details: My Grandad and uncle served in the regiment and I’m here to find some more info about their military career.

David William Salt

Post by JoeFlaherty91 »

Hello to everyone, my name is Joe Flaherty my grandad David William Salt served in the regiment I think in the 60s through to late 70s. I have been trying to trace back and find as much info I can about him as I never had the chance to meet him. I’d appreciate any reply maybe a nudge in the right direction towards learning more about my Grandad
Regards
Joe
Johnny Morris
Service details: Served 1967-1992, Paderborne, Hong Kong, Bovington, Warminster Hohne, Catterick, Munster.
N Ireland, Saudi Arabia for GW 1

Postings: JHQ Rheindahlen, BMATT Zimbabwe, DLOY

Re: David William Salt

Post by Johnny Morris »

Morning Joe

I served with your grandad in Paderborne , we were both in B Squadron that was 1967 - 1970 but your grandad was in the regiment before me. There are others on this website who knew him far better than I did as I was a 'Nig' back then (new member of the regiment).

A few names that spring to mind who may have known him better, Bob Harrison, Tony Wagstaffe, Judd Travis, John Benson. Not sure how many of them are still on this website now.

All the best
Johnny Morris
JoeFlaherty91
Service details: My Grandad and uncle served in the regiment and I’m here to find some more info about their military career.

Post by JoeFlaherty91 »

Johnny thank you very much for the speedy reply, certainly put a smile on my face this morning knowing some people here served and knew my grandad and could possibly still be here to share some stories and memories.

If there is any pictures or anything you might have I’d love to see those to.

Again thank you very much for the speedy reply Johnny

All the best
Joe
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Post by Bill Bentley »

Hi Joe,

I also remember Dave Salt though like J.M. I can't claim to have been a close friend. My recollection is of a steady quiet guy who got on well. Odd when I think about it, when J.M. say's he was a Nig compared to Dave and I was for sure a Nig compared to J.M., it's odd that I recall Dave unless he was a ranker. When I joined the Regiment; HQ Sqn, Tidworth there were quite a number of senior Troopers or Lance Corporals and we 'new boys' were looked after by them and taught the ropes. Names like aka Langbow, Willie Wilson, Dave Whip and Denis Jones spring to mind. They would have known your Grandfather much better.

No pic's and no real episodes to recall, hope the names help you further.

BB
JoeFlaherty91

Post by JoeFlaherty91 »

Thanks very much for your input bill and I’m sure the names will help in some way I’m gonna do my best to find as much info as I possibly can, if I find and photos or anything il be sure to post them. My uncle Paddy Omera was also in the regiment and served with my Grandad. My mum has told me also about my other uncle Yan I don’t think he served with grandad and paddy she said he was maybe in cor 13 signals and did a lot of undercover stuff unfortunately it’s not something I no about other than the 3 of them married my Nan and her sisters (Pat, Veronica and Eileen) so any info from the forum is much appreciate.
Thanks for taking time to post
All the best
Joe
Michael Burgess
Service details: Boy's Sqn RAC 1956 B Sqn Berlin 1958. Stayed Regt Duty till 1990 then RAC Gunnery School till Xmas 2006. Completed 50years and 6 months service.

Post by Michael Burgess »

H Joe
I also served with your grandad but was not a close friend The present regiment King's Royal Hussars has a web site and during this close down period are publishing past Regt Magazines Each year the regt published an annual magazine which contained stories of many actions during that year also pictures of individuals and sports teams with their names.
May I suggest you try and log in and have a look ,failing that contact them by phone or email with you request for info on Dave. Steve Penkethman is very helpful
Take care Mick Burgess

Home Headquarters
Home Headquarters office is closed with staff working from home. Contact details are notified on answer machines and are copied below:

Regimental Secretary: Lt Col (Retd) PDW Garbutt
regsec@krh.org.uk
07791 283847

Assistant Regimental Secretary: Maj (Retd) S Penkethman
hhq@krh.org.uk
07803 793879

Keep an eye on the Regimental website for information https://www.krh.org.uk/

The Regimental Museum - HorsePower
HorsePower Museum in Winchester is closed until further notice. Keep an eye on the website http://horsepowermuseum.co.uk/

Most Importantly - Help for Association Members
If you know of any Association member who may need help during the coming weeks, please do let HHQ know so that arrangements may be made.

Maj (Retd) S Penkethman | Assistant Regimental Secretary | The King's Royal Hussars | Home Headquarters | Peninsula Barracks | WINCHESTER | SO23 8TS | 01962 828520 | E-mail Civ:hhq@krh.org.uk
JoeFlaherty91

Post by JoeFlaherty91 »

Thanks so much for the help gents I’m going to look through as much stuff as possible and really appreciate the help
👍👍👍