ration books ?

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
Pinky
Service details: 1979 JLR RAC. 14/20H then that other regiment. 1979-2003

Re: ration books ?

Post by Pinky »

Howdy,
Over here in Alberta just like most places people are hoarding, being selfish and not sharing.
Lots of complaints on social media about these folk but whats strange it's just like Re-Mainers (UK -Brexit) and Liberals (in Canada) no one actually knows any of them. No one owns up to buying 5 packets of toilet roll at Costco or taking the last 14 bottles of hand sanitizer - but we see them doing it everywhere. These non humans are not helping their fellow mankind during these difficult days. NAME AND SHAME THEM ALL.
Financial assistance is starting in Alberta today for those sent home as jobs cease. Promises of about CAD $2000 a month for the un-employed because of the virus etc. (you do the math).
Together we can survive.
Stay safe and separate!
HUSSAR
Pinky
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Post by Bill Bentley »

Well, who would have thought it, I have been contacted privately by a couple of you old scrots just because I have not been posting for a couple of days. I am flattered and delighted :oops:, thank you. So, unless you believe in ghosts, here he is stirring things up as usual:

Where we now are, in Spain, is a typical Spanish holiday resort, not a British beach bully's paradise. Normally quite and very typically Spanish. This has turned out to be a bit daft ... As soon as Madrid declared their lock down, thousands migrated out to their holiday homes, spreading the virus and emptying all of our shops overnight. The local authorities acted swiftly and evicted the Madridians within 24 hours, but the damage was already done, we also then had an immediate lockdown.

We still have not yet been, needed to be, out shopping so we are safe enough ... but you never know which of our site mates (we now live on a campsite) might have contracted the pox, so it's keep your distance gorgeous, to all the old biddies living here :o.

Still, life goes on, I give the dogs a decent walk twice a day (the site is several hectares in size and borders scrub land) and so get my own exercise. Then I potter around in my little garden and amuse myself with (Amuse I said, not abuse !) watching the workings and results of my new solar system, fascinating 8-) . Then there is the TV, and who would have believed it .... more boring than ever before: nothing other than the virus is newsworthy, with of course the hourly assassination attempts on Boris for (apparently) getting everything wrong; why don't these destructive, manic depressive press twats go and jump off a cliff :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: Surely nobody with a clear thinking mind thinks that Boris is not doing all he can, based upon the best advice our experts can offer. Why do these little shit press idiots always think they know better ?

Anyway, while we have the power (electricity) from our own solar, the internet keeps being interrupted and so comm's is not always available, so please don't worry about this pair of plonkers, we are as well and happy as can be wished for under the circumstances, thank you and bless you for even thinking about us ;).

If things get worse we shall let you know, then you can perhaps send us a couple of ration packs, (more use than passion WRAC's these days) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stay safe !!

Ah yes, Pinky, name and shame them, show their photo's on the TV and let them answer to their neighbours.
Arnie
Service details: Enlisted in 14th/20th King's Hussars on 2 Feb 1959.
Served Hohne and Rheindahlen 1959 - 1962
Libya 1962 Cyprus with C Sqn Dec 1963 - Feb 1964. Returned to Benghazi
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Post by Arnie »

Hi all you home bodies, lets all join together to keep our collective spirits up.
Pinky, it must be terrible to be stuck in such a COLD Brrrr! environment. Bill and I seem to be quite happy in a warmer climate. Of course I am not forgetting Rick in Queensland.
Thankfully, although nothing to laugh about, the comedians are finding lots of new material to call on. I still can't fathom why Toilet Paper? They have obviously never lived through needing torn up 'News of the World' on a nail behind the bog door. Then again, what did people use before paper was invented? To say nothing about people in the services having to use that 'shiney' shit house paper, it used to slide smoothly over what it was supposed to remove. (I believe someone got a financial reward for the suggestion that it was NOT necessary to print 'GOVERNMENT PROPERTY on each segment in the roll, and pointing out that it was, in fact, defacing Government Property by using it as it was intended!)
Brenda says I always bring any conversation down to lowest level, So stop it Arnie.
Bill, you know that the shit press idiots will find anything derogatory to say which is negative rather than positive. I used to be absolutely an avid follower of the "news", then I had my eyes opened. And who the hell thought up the format for a 'panels of experts' giving an analysis of the news. It used to be that they just read the news and you made your own mind up about it's veracity. More to follow.......
Stay Safe.regards to all :) ;) :) ;) :) ;) :o
Pinky

Post by Pinky »

HI Arnie,
As normal we'll give Spring a miss and roll right into Summer for 3.5 months, a week of Autumn then straight back into Winter, oh plus a bit of rain mostly in June.
Its right f-c-ed up here.
HUSSAR
Pinky
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Post by Bill Bentley »

Things are moving in the right direction, Pinky brought this thread to a new high in comments, 13, luck for some. Thanks Arnie, you know why, and Mick for sending out so many laughs; why don't you post some of the better ones on here for all to enjoy ;).

Life in Spain continues in spite of the circumstances. Thanks to Amazon we now have our pool, bubble bath, spa, call it what you will set up and ready to go. Thanks to our solar we can afford the electricity to run it. We might be in Hell, but hey I was a Hawk and so what's all the shouting about :lol: :lol: .

Don't forget to vote in the new committee and my thanks to all who have been nominated for election. It's not everyman's cup of tea: hard work and people moaning at you to boot, but without your being willing things would be worse for all of us: THANKS :!:
Pinky

Post by Pinky »

I saw Cliff Richard in my local Chinese takeaway recently. The owner said to him, "You sing my favourite song I give you free meal!" Cliff replied, "Sure, what do you want to hear?" The man said, "itchy sore fanny!"..........
Cliff looked confused and said, "Sorry.....that's not one of my songs"
"Yes" said the man."Itchy sore fanny how we don't talk anymore!"

Lol
Pinky
Michael Burgess
Service details: Boy's Sqn RAC 1956 B Sqn Berlin 1958. Stayed Regt Duty till 1990 then RAC Gunnery School till Xmas 2006. Completed 50years and 6 months service.

Post by Michael Burgess »

Hi Fellas
Glad we are chatting again during this difficult time, Now to cheer you all up came across this thought it would bring back memories and a smile to your lives. :lol: :roll: :oops: Click on the link and have a laugh

https://www.facebook.com/1414371201/vid ... 184/?t=128

Mick
Brain
Service details: R.E.M.E. (1964-73).
HQ UNFICYP Workshop Cyprus 1966, 25 Field Sqn RE LAD REME 1967. B Squadron 14th/20th Kings Hussars LAD REME Paderborn 1967 - 1970, and Hong Kong 1970-1973. Cambridge University Officer Training Corps (T. A.) 1985 - 1993

Post by Brain »

Bill Bentley wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:24 pm Sorry to harp on ...

if you plant 1 small potato, about the size of a big egg, and you will get 5 to 10 times more back in just 100 days !
A packet of carrot seeds will provide many kilo's of carrots.
Don't buy onion seed, buy planting onions which will increase many times in size by Autumn.

Go for simple basics.

Plant carrots and onions next to each other, they ward off each others pests.

Buy a couple of tomato plants instead of a pound of tomatoes and soon harvest 10 kilo's of home grown tom's. Plant onions or chives with tomatoes ...

Beetroot is easy to grow and very healthy.
Beans are a great easy reliable and valuable cropper.

Nettles are a fantastic source of vitamins and valuable acids etc., eat their seed clusters raw, crush the young leaves between your finger tips and chew then swallow them raw. Make a sort of spinach from the larger good leaves. Let them grow amongst your spuds, they will help protect the crop. Dry clean leaves, not above 35°C, to later make tea, with a drop of honey - medicine pure !

Even a window box with herbs in it will provide valuable flavours: always keep parsley separately.

Tip: don't use nettle leaves to wipe your arse :lol: :lol:
I can confirm I am being kept separately!! Spending most days on my allotment planting all my vegetables. Brian Parsley
Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley »

Hi Brian,

glad to hear that you are down in your allotment, best thing that anyone can do. "kept separately" does that mean that you have the virus or that the missus has kicked you out :lol:. Just got to laugh at things sometimes, otherwise go mad.

Either way I wish you luck and a return to normality asap.

Just to keep this topical: At least you won't need a Ration Book with all them veggies on their way ;).

Q: Do I vaguely remember ration cards in BAOR, what would that have been for ? Certainly not for beer, bier :lol: :lol:.
Arnie
Service details: Enlisted in 14th/20th King's Hussars on 2 Feb 1959.
Served Hohne and Rheindahlen 1959 - 1962
Libya 1962 Cyprus with C Sqn Dec 1963 - Feb 1964. Returned to Benghazi
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Post by Arnie »

Bill, I don't remember rationing anything but cigarettes and that was only because we got them Duty Free. If memory serves me right we were allowed something like 140 a week. The non-smokers did alright from dealing or selling their rations to heavy smokers.

Stay safe and healthy all of you. Arnie :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D