ration books ?

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
john kerwin
Service details: A sqn 14/20th Kings Hussars, 5th Troop and SHQ Troop. 1962 to 1966/7 and 2nd RTR, Benghazi tripoli cyprus perham down and omagh Ni

ration books ?

Post by john kerwin »

With all these bloody idiots panic buying. How long before ration books are issued.
Some kind of control is needed to stop people going mad and clearing the shelves of everything,
why would you need hundreds of loo rolls :evil: .
They will be the first to moan when the emergency workers go sick for lack fresh food..(BASTARDS)
Natalie
Service details: Daughter of Lt Col Brian (Drac) Draper, dependant and pad brat for 20 years.

Re: ration books ?

Post by Natalie »

Well said!!!!! It’s ridiculous, all this panic buying. Very much a ‘sod everyone else I’m alright Jack’ attitude. Makes me cringe! When ( if ever) will this country get a grip?!
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Post by Bill Bentley »

Just had a mail from the guy who bought our self-sufficiency farm: he's as happy as a mud lark :lol: .

As for us, these days down in Spain in one of the most affected areas, we have not yet been shopping. I am busy studying all of the local flora and fauna to work how we will get by when it starts to get serious. We would not even be considered for a ration book. I'm not sure that they would help anyway, it's the black market that profits then :twisted: :twisted:.

As for the loo roll collectors, I have to assume that they are themselves giant arseholes :lol:.

I have been preaching about getting ready for a crisis for years, quite a few have taken heed, which means that those who were already ready didn't need to panic buy ;) .

This event will be with us for some time so my advice remains the same as ever:

Stock up, stay at home, stay safe.

One final tip: Practice fasting, your body can live on much less than most people currently consume. Your body then utilizes your food better and you get more energy from it. Fasting also starves most illnesses and medication has a far better effect than when being absorbed by your food and being expelled as waste, without having been able to do its job and polluting the sewage with medicines :evil:. Not to mention the benefits of weighing several kilo's less :D.

Good luck to all 8-).
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Post by Bill Bentley »

Sorry to harp on ...

if you plant 1 small potato, about the size of a big egg, and you will get 5 to 10 times more back in just 100 days !
A packet of carrot seeds will provide many kilo's of carrots.
Don't buy onion seed, buy planting onions which will increase many times in size by Autumn.

Go for simple basics.

Plant carrots and onions next to each other, they ward off each others pests.

Buy a couple of tomato plants instead of a pound of tomatoes and soon harvest 10 kilo's of home grown tom's. Plant onions or chives with tomatoes ...

Beetroot is easy to grow and very healthy.
Beans are a great easy reliable and valuable cropper.

Nettles are a fantastic source of vitamins and valuable acids etc., eat their seed clusters raw, crush the young leaves between your finger tips and chew then swallow them raw. Make a sort of spinach from the larger good leaves. Let them grow amongst your spuds, they will help protect the crop. Dry clean leaves, not above 35°C, to later make tea, with a drop of honey - medicine pure !

Even a window box with herbs in it will provide valuable flavours: always keep parsley separately.

Tip: don't use nettle leaves to wipe your arse :lol: :lol:
Michael Burgess
Service details: Boy's Sqn RAC 1956 B Sqn Berlin 1958. Stayed Regt Duty till 1990 then RAC Gunnery School till Xmas 2006. Completed 50years and 6 months service.

Post by Michael Burgess »

Well done Bill you have certainly become self sufficient over you adventures life, did not put you down as a "fen boy" As has been said this crisis has shown the true nature of us human beings and has been mentioned some not very good. But please dont tar them all with the same brush. I live in a small Dorset Village with limited facilities and after the recent restrictions were implemented it only took HOURS for the villagers to get together to help ease the self isolation for vulnerable people.
Notes came through the door from groups offering to pick up groceries etc the nearby dispensary put in place a helpful prescription services, the little premier Shop offered to take food orders over the phone as lots our residents are not Tech Savvy and they would deliver it. The village Bus offered a reduced fare into Dorchester at times suitable to elderly people and after dropping them off at Tesco would wait for them to finish their shopping. Then bring us back to the village stop outside the cottages /flat etc the driver if required would then carry the heavy bags into their homes.
So please every one have faith in our communities we need to stick together to get through this sad period.
Must go now and find that 10man compo pack I buried on Bovington Heath for emergencies some years ago.
Take care wash your hands and open a bottle of Shultheiss

Mick/Marion :oops: :lol:
Arnie
Service details: Enlisted in 14th/20th King's Hussars on 2 Feb 1959.
Served Hohne and Rheindahlen 1959 - 1962
Libya 1962 Cyprus with C Sqn Dec 1963 - Feb 1964. Returned to Benghazi
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Post by Arnie »

Hi Yall, periods like what the World is suffering at the moment tends to show the good and the bad in certain people. Mick, the people in your village are lucky, in that they are DO'ERS, opposite to the DONE'fors. We that experienced the services, tend in the main to be the former but you all must have experienced people who definitely fit into the latter group. Service life tends to knock some sense of responsibility into most. This is most noticeable in the retirement village I am in at the moment. I was gearing-up to organize shopping for the needy and infirm when I, of necessity, had to put myself into self-quarantine for 14 days. Other ex-servicemen took up the reins and in short order it was all sorted. Our ILU (Independent Living Units) Manager then asked me if I needed anything (?) Thanks to Bills teachings, I was able to tell her, NO thanks. She insisted on us ringing her if we needed anything.

Look after yourselves and others (if you are able).

Arnie :D :D :D :D
Arnie
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Post by Arnie »

Hi Yall,

sorry to be following on to my last submission, but time on ones hands (retirement) makes it easy to keep up to date with everything that is going on in the World. Now that most countries are closing their borders, a huge number of you will be able to join me in keeping boredom at bay on the Internet. Just watched Boris's announcement on You Tube about the steps you in the UK are going to suffer in the coming months. I think they are severe measures, but are necessary in the present crisis. In the modern day tech age, I don't think it will be as devastating as the flu pandemic immediately following WW1. As soon as the people in charge get their act together there will be a drug on the market to counter this Corona(my favourite beer)virus. As of today they already have the drug Tramedol, used as a powerful pain killer at present, but originally used to cure malaria. A couple of weeks ago I had a severe pain in my left shoulder blade (I am right handed so it could not have been from that???). Looking at the ingredients of the tablets I noticed that the major constituent was Hydrochlororide. This is what causes the pill to kill the Coronavirus. In the countries that have tried it,
Italy for instance, they are having a 100% success rate on the users of the drug. I say GET it out to all the sufferers of the virus and it will soon be gone.

I suppose you have all heard of how Denmark is stopping the 'Hoarders' of any products. Probably a hoax but sounds plausible. The first packet of Toilet is, say $5 dollars and the second one is $95 dollars. Mentioned it to the Manager of my local Woolies (Aussie Supermarket Chain) and he said the story was going round all retail outlets in Australia, but doubted it was true.

Look after yourselves and be happy and active in your forced holidays. Our hearts go out to you. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley »

Well done Arnie,

I was just about to start a new thread 'Odd', odd that there aren't dozens of new threads on this site. What are YOU all up to ? Here YOU could all be spreading mayhem, I do my best, but was about to give up, because while talking to oneself is a sign of madness, writing to and replying to oneself is positively certifiable :roll:.

Here we have had a week of rain, some very heavy, washing away part of our walking track, me and the dogs that is. The rain is most welcome as the ground was powder dry and as hard as rock. Now I can press on with pulling up some flags, laid by my predecessor, and getting my new garden up and running. This virus malarkey will go on for some time and I hope to be ready, come what may.

I spend a lot of time out with the dogs, sometimes talking to them endlessly. All I get in return is enquiring looks and ignorance because they have also realized that I am mad, after all, which sane person expects an answer from their dogs ? Especially the blind one, who I am always bollocking for wandering off. He drives me nut, constantly retracing my steps to see where he has gone. If Big Brother had a trace on me, he too would want me certifying, me walking back and forth, as if I were in a prison cell, when I am out in the countryside :?.

Not much else to do except eat and sleep and watch the news to see if I am dead already :| . Ah food, now there's an idea ;) ttfn !
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

Hi Bill How are you? Not too good by the tone of your submission above. Me on the other hand have had almost 6 years of trying to amuse myself, so am getting used to it. Retired finally at the age of 73 and moved into here. Unfortunately we are not allowed pets tho you and I know walkable pets are an ideal therapy for all us oldies. Besides I do most of the cooking and make all the teas, to say nothing of putting all pills each breakfast time (25 in all 12 for me and 13 for Brenda) always got drinks in for the odd relative who call in. Brenda has one of her sisters in this retirement village and usually stops in for a coffee. She phones first to see if we are in because in the beginning she just used to walk in un-announced. Brenda finally laid the law down plus we now know to lock the door whether we are in or not.
Interestingly she goes shopping every day to the nearest shopping mall. Hasn't quite grasped the concept of self isolation, like the story of the yank couple who had CV and because they had it already couldn't get it again so used to go out and mingle. The authorities have yet to trace even a fraction of the people they might have encountered. And these people VOTE.
Am off to bed now to get my ugly sleep.

Stay Safe and don't meet anyone like our Hilda (sister-in-law) ;) ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D
Michael Burgess
Service details: Boy's Sqn RAC 1956 B Sqn Berlin 1958. Stayed Regt Duty till 1990 then RAC Gunnery School till Xmas 2006. Completed 50years and 6 months service.

Post by Michael Burgess »

Hi Old Friends
Nice to see you as cheer full as always as they say " Grumpy old Grandpa 2" he's ok. Weather here great sunshine slight winds and frost at night to kill the bugs. Manage to get out morning and evening with my 9 year old lab, great company used to go shooting on the ranges with him but cant drive any more. but as you say walking and talking in the country side is very full filling.
Hunan nature is very fickle as I walk around meet a family max goes up to them and I chat to them no problems always been gregarious somewhat when max was off the road for an illness I still went out met a family started to chat to the kids WOW :o the reaction from some was as if I was a pervert which really hurt so if in the woods dont talk to families without a dog !!!!!!!!!!!!!
So bloody sad, any way got to put my spuds and onions in .
Take care and keep taking the pills. :lol: :roll: :o
Mick/Marion and MaxImage[/img]