Bodge Brown

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
xnsman
Service details: National Service. With 'B' Squadron at Haig Lines, Crookham, Sept. 1952 to Sabratha, May 1954.

Bodge Brown

Post by xnsman »

Bodge - Good to see you're still posting. I have enjoyed your jokes over the years. Nice to know there are still some serial 52-10 National Servicemen sitting up and taking nourishment at 85/6 years of age! Keep on trucking. Peter Law.
bodge
Service details: national service 1952 - 1954

Re: Bodge Brown

Post by bodge »

Thank you Peter yes I still check on every day I am still hanging on thanks.
bobge.
Michael Burgess
Service details: Boy's Sqn RAC 1956 B Sqn Berlin 1958. Stayed Regt Duty till 1990 then RAC Gunnery School till Xmas 2006. Completed 50years and 6 months service.

Post by Michael Burgess »

Well done lads its nice to see some REAL OLD HAWKS chatting on the site.
Health and happiness for the future.
Mick :lol: :roll: :oops:
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Post by Bill Bentley »

Bodge, Peter,

I wonder what you two thought, think of your former service days, being conscripted in and all of that, most of use were, sort of, willing to join up, even if only to escape something else :o .

Do you (or others) think that some sort of National Service (not necessarily purely military) would benefit our newly (re) found Nation State ?

My own view, and I have mentioned it before, would be along the lines of the THW in Germany, who's main function is to support the emergency services, especially in times of crisis. This would vastly improve our ability to cope with FLOODING and fires, landslides, sink holes, motorway pile ups, etc. etc. etc..

Mick,

YOU can't say that to many :lol: :lol: .
Arnie
Service details: Enlisted in 14th/20th King's Hussars on 2 Feb 1959.
Served Hohne and Rheindahlen 1959 - 1962
Libya 1962 Cyprus with C Sqn Dec 1963 - Feb 1964. Returned to Benghazi
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Post by Arnie »

Sorry to say my piece, BUT, in today's whinging society it would be impossible to get everybody doing some sort of community service as a matter of Law, like it was in the days of National Service. Yes you would get the 'Volunteers' but it is not the "Volunteers' who this sort of thing is aimed at! It is precisely the non-volunteers. My opinion is that it would be impossible get to get any sort of discipline/community service mind-set into todays young. To say nothing about the Feminists ideas on this proposal. Would need millions of Lawyers to sort out the mess, and we have far too many Lawyers already!

Arnie :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Post by Bill Bentley »

Arnie,

I fear that you are right, as so often before. We do not need any more lawyers in this world and the snow flake kiddies are horrified at having to wipe their own backsides; that's the sad reality :cry: .

My prod was more to see what others might think, especially those who actually went through National Service. What effect did it have upon them as people and did it improve their attitude to life, things like that.

I'm sure as hell glad that I got roped into the military, don't care to think what I might, or might not have, become without all the chances Service gave me.

Glad to see you active again, dog sitting can be a ball ache, I mean that your throwing arm aches :lol:
john kerwin
Service details: A sqn 14/20th Kings Hussars, 5th Troop and SHQ Troop. 1962 to 1966/7 and 2nd RTR, Benghazi tripoli cyprus perham down and omagh Ni

Post by john kerwin »

Agreed Bill.
If national service could be introduced ( and why not other countries do have NS ) the lawyers and do gooders
would also have to do it, and perhaps they could see life as it is, without the rose coloured specs.
And what a change it would make to all these feral gangs, male and female. Maybe get them away from the smart phones and video games. And realise knives and guns do hurt real people.
Just yesterday at about 1500 hrs a gang of 14 year old girls, kicked 7 bells out of a homeless woman in lancaster city center. and not one of the hordes of people around tried to stop them. But all stood around recording the the action on smart phones
Perhaps national service would instill some value and respect to other human beings.
Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley »

John,

that's wicked, not sure that I could restrain myself, would probably get a ticket for slapping somebody :o . Can't do right for doing wrong in this society :twisted: I would put the little shits on bread and water and hard labour for a month.