Tripoli

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
john kerwin
Service details: A sqn 14/20th Kings Hussars, 5th Troop and SHQ Troop. 1962 to 1966/7 and 2nd RTR, Benghazi tripoli cyprus perham down and omagh Ni

Tripoli

Post by john kerwin »

Can anyone remember the name of the camp in Tripoli. I remember Wavell in Benghazi, but for the life of me I just recall the camps name in Tripoli.
Arnie
Service details: Enlisted in 14th/20th King's Hussars on 2 Feb 1959.
Served Hohne and Rheindahlen 1959 - 1962
Libya 1962 Cyprus with C Sqn Dec 1963 - Feb 1964. Returned to Benghazi
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Re: Tripoli

Post by Arnie »

Over to you B Sqn buddies. For the short time I was there I seem to remember it was called Medenine Barracks!
john kerwin
Service details: A sqn 14/20th Kings Hussars, 5th Troop and SHQ Troop. 1962 to 1966/7 and 2nd RTR, Benghazi tripoli cyprus perham down and omagh Ni

Post by john kerwin »

Thanks Arnie, sounds about right.
bodge
Service details: national service 1952 - 1954

Post by bodge »

A list of 5 I found on another site.
Prinn
Miani
Azizia
Kassala
Medenine
Bodge.
john kerwin

Post by john kerwin »

Kassala was the REME base workshops. Spent about a month there. Was like a top quality Hotel :D .
You ordered your meals the day before. And they were great, with the CHEF on hand. Not like the usual food spoiler, army (so called cooks :twisted: ). And meals were served in the mess, that would put most officers mess to shame. :D
Loved it, fantastic place.
Syd Jones
Service details: Joined the Regiment in June '52 at Haig Lines, Crookham, Hants, initially in to Recce Troop. Regiment moved to Sabratha in November '52, where Recce Troop disbanded. joined 4th. troop 'A' sqdn. later SHQ troop. Demobbed in '54 & transferred to Staffs. Yeomanry, finally discharged in '56.

Post by Syd Jones »

Well Bodge. Nice to see you still about! Have to say that, other than Tripdist HQ, it never occurred to me that there might be other camps in Tripoli! Cheers, Syd.
bodge

Post by bodge »

Hi Syd.
Yes Ido rememder the H Q we did quite afew guard duties there if you remember it was nice to get away from the green gauge jam that we aways had back at camp.
Bodge.
Syd Jones
Service details: Joined the Regiment in June '52 at Haig Lines, Crookham, Hants, initially in to Recce Troop. Regiment moved to Sabratha in November '52, where Recce Troop disbanded. joined 4th. troop 'A' sqdn. later SHQ troop. Demobbed in '54 & transferred to Staffs. Yeomanry, finally discharged in '56.

Post by Syd Jones »

Have to confess Malc. that I never actually did a guard duty at Trip Dist.! Maybe it was because I was 'A' sqdn. clerk for a while and they forgot to stick me on the list when I moved out? Seemed to end up as either Bill Garbutt's or the gaffer's, (maj.BCL Tayleur's) signaller. or, quite often, nothing very much at all. Anyway, I was never going to moan about it! Cheers, Syd.
bodge

Post by bodge »

Hi Syd.
Bill Garbutt & Serg. Williams ware my joint tank comanders.
Syd Jones

Post by Syd Jones »

Lor' Luv us Bodge...Not at the same time I hope! Cheers, Syd.