Ray Lawton

Stuart Leaver, 2nd February 2024

If you learn of a new bereavement please inform Admin of the details: hussar1420@gmail.com
BobH
Site Admin
Service details: DLOY - 1961 - 1966
14th/20th King's Hussars - 1966 - 1978
RAOC - 1978 - 1988

Ray Lawton

Post by BobH »

Received from HHQ:

MR R LAWTON
14TH/20TH KING’S HUSSARS 1940 - 1946

We regret to inform you of the death of Ray Lawton on Wednesday, 22nd January, aged 97. Ray served in N Africa and Italy during World War 2 and was involved in the liberation of Medicina on 16th April 1945.

A funeral service will be held on Friday 14th February, at 15:15hrs, at Crewe Crematorium, Cemetery Grounds, Market Close, Crewe CW1 2NA.

No other details are known.
RayLawton.jpg
RayLawton.jpg (138.73 KiB) Viewed 9695 times
Bob Harrison

Westhoughton born and Warburtons bred
john kerwin
Service details: A sqn 14/20th Kings Hussars, 5th Troop and SHQ Troop. 1962 to 1966/7 and 2nd RTR, Benghazi tripoli cyprus perham down and omagh Ni

Re: Mr Ray Lawton, 22 January 2020

Post by john kerwin »

RIP Ray. ( Hero of WW2 )
Pinky
Service details: 1979 JLR RAC. 14/20H then that other regiment. 1979-2003

Post by Pinky »

RIP Ray,
A true Hussar and war hero.
Pinky
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Post by Bill Bentley »

I try not to remember people who were not my friends or who I had not worked alongside or at least met for a happy moment, how could I remember them ?

Then again, how could I forget a man who immortalized the history of a regiment in which I later served. Those brave men who put ‚Battle Honours' on our own Guidon, which we in turn proudly marched behind. Those brave men who know not only the might of a cannon when it is fired but also when they are on the receiving end of such awesome, devastating, destructive and lethal firepower.

Sleep well, knowing that you Ray Lawton are remembered, sleep well brother, sleep well.
ianneilson
Service details: 1961 JLR, 14/20 A Sqn, Benghazi, Tripoli, Perham Down, Paderborn, B Sqn, Hereford. AAC attached pilot 1976 to 1980. Munster.

Post by ianneilson »

Margaret and I attended the funeral of Ray Lawton this afternoon.
With about 30 relatives and neighbours there we were the only unknown couple attending and when asked by the funeral director if we were family I said we were there representing the 14/20th Kings Hussars to pay our respects to an old comrade. He said that was very nice. To our credit we were immaculately dressed in appropriate black suit and clothing. I also wore a hawk silver pin and veteran badge on my lapels.
We followed the coffin inside the chapel to sound of Sussex by the Sea played by our own 14/20th Regimental band. After the eulogy everyone reflected in silence to the sound of Joseph Locke singing Violetta (Hear my song Violetta).
I was proud to learn that Ray Lawton actually took part in the battle honour of Medicina and in 1995 returned to Medicina to receive the freedom of the town. He was a real hero and a credit to the regiment. We filed from to chapel to the sound of Shenandoah played by Bryn Terfel.
The funeral booklet show a picture of a grinning Ray in battle dress with hairy shirt and topped with black beret and hawk badge. He is also wearing a web belt that many will remember with affection after cleaning the brass.
Ian Neilson
Samuel P Harrison

Post by Samuel P Harrison »

Great respect - rest in peace
Clailaw
Service details: Father

Post by Clailaw »

Heartfelt thanks from daughter of Mr Ray Lawton
Clailaw

Post by Clailaw »

ianneilson wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:40 pm Margaret and I attended the funeral of Ray Lawton this afternoon.
With about 30 relatives and neighbours there we were the only unknown couple attending and when asked by the funeral director if we were family I said we were there representing the 14/20th Kings Hussars to pay our respects to an old comrade. He said that was very nice. To our credit we were immaculately dressed in appropriate black suit and clothing. I also wore a hawk silver pin and veteran badge on my lapels.
We followed the coffin inside the chapel to sound of Sussex by the Sea played by our own 14/20th Regimental band. After the eulogy everyone reflected in silence to the sound of Joseph Locke singing Violetta (Hear my song Violetta).
I was proud to learn that Ray Lawton actually took part in the battle honour of Medicina and in 1995 returned to Medicina to receive the freedom of the town. He was a real hero and a credit to the regiment. We filed from to chapel to the sound of Shenandoah played by Bryn Terfel.
The funeral booklet show a picture of a grinning Ray in battle dress with hairy shirt and topped with black beret and hawk badge. He is also wearing a web belt that many will remember with affection after cleaning the brass.
Ian Neilson
Very much wanted to thank you for attending and similarly for posting this tribute which I have only just come across today ..
Clailaw

Post by Clailaw »

Bill Bentley wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:57 am I try not to remember people who were not my friends or who I had not worked alongside or at least met for a happy moment, how could I remember them ?

Then again, how could I forget a man who immortalized the history of a regiment in which I later served. Those brave men who put ‚Battle Honours' on our own Guidon, which we in turn proudly marched behind. Those brave men who know not only the might of a cannon when it is fired but also when they are on the receiving end of such awesome, devastating, destructive and lethal firepower.

Sleep well, knowing that you Ray Lawton are remembered, sleep well brother, sleep well.
Was actually very very moved to read this tribute to my Dad and thank you indeed for posting it
Clailaw

Post by Clailaw »

Pinky wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:50 pm RIP Ray,
A true Hussar and war hero.
Pinky
Touched to read your very kind words ..he would have been humbled to know .