JNR SSM Bill on FB.

Talk about your time in the Regiment, the KRH, Military Life, Equipment - Let's keep the good memories going.
Pinky
Service details: 1979 JLR RAC. 14/20H then that other regiment. 1979-2003

JNR SSM Bill on FB.

Post by Pinky »

Howdy,
Posted by Frank Smith on the 1420H FB page.
Bill.jpg
Bill.jpg (93.23 KiB) Viewed 6000 times
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Re: JNR SSM Bill on FB.

Post by Bill Bentley »

Thanks Pinky,

after all those years avoiding FB, now I get outed :o.

Not that I was a perfect student or anything like that. The 3 Sgts who were fighting for the job got so snotty that the OC picked me as a punchy Cpl to do the job. That way discipline was assured :twisted:. Cpl to SSM, don't happen every day, not even in the Junior Army ;) .
That I also got 'Best Soldier passing out to a Cavalry Regiment' surprised me at the time and still does :lol: :lol:.
Last edited by Bill Bentley on Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pinky

Post by Pinky »

as they say 'and the rest is history'.
A proud moment non the less.
Well done.
Pinky
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Post by Bill Bentley »

Thanks buddy, lots of Bull Shit to hide the rust, that's the Motto.
Pinky

Post by Pinky »

JLR RAC intake 1972-73..jpg
JLR RAC intake 1972-73..jpg (73.78 KiB) Viewed 4562 times
See a name we know on there????
ATB
Pinky

FROM FB - of course.

ON the RH list: the name Halfman........first KRH RSM - not a bad bloke TBH. Can't believe I said that - lol.
Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley »

Wow Pinky,
you really are going through the files. Are you sure you were not in the Int Corps with Arnie :lol:.

The Very first name on the list, Andy Baxter was a good friend of mine. Ex J/RSM and a very fine fellow. From the B&R's he went to the Pathfinders, who's role it was to parachute in behind enemy lines and mark the Drop Zones for the rest of the Airborne Forces. I was in the Para Sqn RAC at the time and we met occasionally on various exercises, most notably in Malaya in 1973. Bear in mind that Vietnam was still in full swing just across the bay. Working with the Australian SAS, some Yanky Rangers and Eban Tribesmen most of whom had 'nipped across the water' to show us the ropes. In Malaya I fell in love with Mother Nature, the Jungle was my theatre and I had the joy of also serving in Brunei and Kenya, later visiting Zimbabwe, South Africa and Taiwan several times at my own expence.

Andy was later to become one of the youngest soldiers ever to join the SAS. In this role I used to meet up with him and other friends in NI, to run around the Mourne Mountains, training for the Open International Mourne Mountains double mountain marathon. I was in 2 Para by then.

With the SAS Andy later climbed Mount Everest where he had a fall which killed another friend of mine Tony Swerzy. Andy returned home only later to die of a brain tumour, almost certainly as a delayed result of the fall. RiP old buddy.

Of course I knew all of the guys who went, like me, to the 14th/20th and we all knew the majority of those who passed out in 1972. A surprising proportion of names later served with the Para Sqn RAC and the SAS. One guy, who was my Best Man, was later, as a copper, one of Margaret Thatchers Personal Security Officers.

I'm still in contact with several to this day.

The JLR produced many fine soldiers and at one point 5 of the RSM's in the RAC were all former JLR and all former Para Sqn RAC members. Many went on to become officers, some reaching the highest possible rank (for a ranker) of Lt Colonel. As was the story of Brian Draper and not forgetting our friend Mick Burgess who was a former Boy Soldier and reached the rank of Major, as did PA Steele, who's Best Man I was.

Thanks for the memories !
Last edited by Bill Bentley on Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pinky

Post by Pinky »

The last 14/20 H junior RSM joined in about 1988 - excellent young soldier......did 3 yrs and left "Wasn't for me" he said.
Pinky