fuel

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
john kerwin
Service details: A sqn 14/20th Kings Hussars, 5th Troop and SHQ Troop. 1962 to 1966/7 and 2nd RTR, Benghazi tripoli cyprus perham down and omagh Ni

fuel

Post by john kerwin »

I was paying £1200 a year with PFP. But they went bust. British Gas took over my account. For the same amount of fuel, it is going to cost me almost £2000. And no sign of the money I am owed from my old supplier.
It's going to be a long cold winter.
A lot of old and poor will suffer. Without the means to pay for fuel and the increased cost of food. It's now feed or heat.
Government and local councils continue to waste money left right and centre. Like Lancashire council, spending £45.000000. To clad metal crash barriers with wood, so they look nice. But you won't be able to see them for the weeds, or long grass. They say the council can't afford to cut ?
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Re: fuel

Post by Bill Bentley »

Hi John,

it's not just the UK, fuel prices are rising everywhere. In Germany the last jump was 13% and yes here too, companies/ suppliers are going bust. Spain is no different, the last jump was 25% :?.
So what's going on ?
Well, as far as I can see it's the big players crushing the small players to create a monopoly.

THEY do exactly the same with food: THEY buy 'in advance' entire harvests, then store it. This creates a shortage on the world markets, the price goes up, then THEY sell it with vast profits.
Remember THEY have been doing this with oil for decades.

We all need to be independent, self sufficiency freaks. I did that for 20 years in Germany and even then you are being squeezed all the time. We were not allowed to sell much of our seed, because it was not listed by the EU. To get listed costs thousands for each type of seed - insanity for a bucket full of entirely organic seed, so we sold out and moved to Spain.

People need to invest in themselves :!:.

We moved to one of the sunniest parts of Spain and immediately put photovoltaic solar on the roof. Since then we have not paid a penny for electricity.
We heat with infra-red panels and use the air-con/ hot air blowers to maintain a comfortable living environment.
You need to know what you are doing because there are liars and con-men just waiting to drink of your blood. This can not work in northern Europe, you do not have enough sun hours ! Don't let them prove to you with statistics that it will work, because they deceitfully forget to tell you about the pitfalls, of which there are many.

The most effective way for Joe Bloggs, in the UK, to get through is to use less energy !

Don't heat your entire house, and then only heat up to 18 degrees Celsius.
(All rooms should be kept above +12 degrees Celsius, better 13, to avoid condensation water dampness !)
(In a 'cool' kitchen your fridge will use less 'fuel' - electricity because it does not have to compete with your heating system: cooling what you have just heated up. Your food will also stay fresher for longer !

Rather buy a warm wool pullover and wear sheepskin slippers, preferably from welch Wales. It's also much healthier to live 'closer to the natural temperature', because your body gets less of a shock when you go outside. You will then also be less likely to catch a cold and even Corona !

Heating to 18 degrees instead of 22 degrees will save almost 50% on your heating costs.
It's the same principle as when you drive a car, if you drive a hundred miles at full throttle, you will use a lot more fuel than when you drive the same distance gently.

Wash your hands with cold water. 90% of our visitors always put the mixer tap in the middle, drawing hot water then cooling it down with cold water. This is the height of decadency, wasteful to the point of insanity ! We have turned off the hot water supply to our guest WC.
Another example of decadent insanity is to flush to toilet with 'drinking quality water'.

If the majority of people are not willing to 'think for themselves', society has no chance of survival :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o
Last edited by Bill Bentley on Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arnie
Service details: Enlisted in 14th/20th King's Hussars on 2 Feb 1959.
Served Hohne and Rheindahlen 1959 - 1962
Libya 1962 Cyprus with C Sqn Dec 1963 - Feb 1964. Returned to Benghazi
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Post by Arnie »

Bill,

If I lived in the Northern Hemisphere I would take all the points of your advice, but I don't!

Our big expense here is keeping cool in your winter and I must say only dry in your summer. As a pensioner I get a pretty hefty subsidy from the Government (Taxpayers) to help pay the fuel bills. Peak usage is Dec, Jan, Feb when it is stifling here in WA.

So far the troubles caused by the "lockdown" protestors in NSW and Victoria have not impacted on us in WA. Mind you having been allowed to hold the AFL (Australian Rules Football League) Grand Final here for the first time have not impacted me except the interminable ads on TV for the bloody thing. Been here 40 years and have never watched or gone to a game in all that time. Think I have said this before on NOAH's Arc, but I tell everybody that I only support two teams, that's the All Blacks at Rugby or Cricket and any other side playing Australia.

We are at the moment in the first month of our Spring and the weather is glorious.

Stay safe, warm and healthy.

Arnie :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Pinky
Service details: 1979 JLR RAC. 14/20H then that other regiment. 1979-2003

Post by Pinky »

It was a barmy plus 29 here in southern Alberta yesterday but it could snow at any time!!!
ATB
Pinky
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Post by Bill Bentley »

Pinky,
I hope that you stored some of that heat :lol:.

Arnie,
I am well aware that you have worked years more than most and, so seen, you have every right to expect to be supported in your later years.
And I know all too well that you don't believe that humans have caused/ contribute to 'the speed of' climate change.
Though your grandchildren and some of us old'uns (me included) are certain that on this one point you are wrong !
Your governments 'tax payers money' would be far better invested in photovoltaic solar, then they could give you free electricity instead of subsidising your electricity bills :!:.
Arnie
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Post by Arnie »

Bill,

the WA government do just that, we are pelted withy ads 'giving' gov subsidies for the installation of solar panels on the roof. We in retirement get a very generous subsidy to partially pay our energy bills. I must say it more than covers the bills for this. I live in an apartment block so the solar panels are not allowed.
Of all the people, and there are many, who have the panels, there are many of them who say they are a waste of time. Others swear by them. Go figure??
Continuing on the subject of solar panels. When is somebody going to develop roof tiles which when installed become 'photovoltaic' tiles or the same in tin roofing, of which we, in Australia have many houses fitted with this type of covering. When this occurs, which of course, it will eventually, the Government can then mandate that all new houses be fitted with these in the construction phase.
Must say the ground swell of opinion is swinging, pendulum-like, away from this nasty 'climate change' propaganda. People are listening to Climatologist experts and not just supposed 'experts'!!!!

Book is finished. Waiting for son to send it to you, as a gigantic email, which he says is possible. Can you take it like that, or can I send it to you on a USB Memory stick which was my original idea?

Pinky, did you mean barmy (mad) or balmy (soft and warm)??
Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley »

Fuel and just one reason why I despise Merkel:

Following the nuclear disaster at Fukushima Merkel had a brainwave and immediately closed down most of Germany's perfectly functioning nuclear power stations. Progressively all nuclear power stations were closed. In doing this she stole the wind out of the sails of the German Green Party and was viewed by other governments in Europe as 'enlightened'.

Since that day Germany can not produce nearly enough energy for its industry or for its own people. So they buy electricity produced by nuclear power stations in France, Belgium and Poland, at a far higher price than their own power stations had charged. This also involves a very considerable loss of revenue - tax on profits of the former German power stations.
Many of the french nuclear power stations are far older and in a 'much less safe condition' than the closed down German units. Some are also directly on the French/ German border and so pose a 'clear and present danger to Germany and its peoples'.

When the dust settled the German tax payer also had to compensate the power companies with 19,000,000,000,- € for loss of earnings.

Shortly after Merkel made a contract with the power companies regarding the future danger posed by nuclear waste, which had been 'temporarily stored' in old salt mines. They had made countless billions of profits and so MUST pay into a fund to offset future costs, sounds good eh ! The sum of 24,000,000,000,- was agreed, thereafter legally all future costs are the liability of the German tax payer :cry:.
So the bottom line is THEY only actually paid 5,000,000,000,- €, a very moderate sum, considering the vast profits they had made.

About this time investigations revealed that the advertising films of carefully sealed, stacked and numbered containers of this deadly nuclear waste were a rare example. In other parts of the salt mines the containers had just been tipped down a ravine and salt water had already eroded the protective shields and radiation was rapidly leaking out. This radiation is likely to last for tens of thousands of years and there are thousands of tons of it. The true future cost is incalculable either in financial terms or in safety terms.

Germany already has the most expensive electricity prices in Europe.

Merkel's next stroke of genius was to close down Germany's best profit maker - the fossil fuel car industry and force them all to go electric, but where will all of the electricity come from ??

A side effect of all of this is also that it is impossible for Germany to reach its reduction of carbon-dioxide targets.

Thank you Mutti, you stupid twat !!!
Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley »

Arnie,
Your book. I wasn't sure if me or you would die before you got there :lol: :lol: :lol: . Well done !!!
A stick sounds better, our network here is fragile.

We had massive storms throughout Spain earlier this month, half of our campsite was wrecked and the infrastructure is off on off and will be for months.
Guess who had prepared rather well and got off with just mud to clean up.
We have our own solar and a monster 48 volt battery bank, so have electricity, but the site antenna blinks and stutters.

There are already solar roof tiles, but the price is very prohibitive and the connections are rather fragile. Normal panels can be fitted over wriggly tin roofs. They are then shaded and so don't heat up as much. The issue is more one of the roofs under construction, the weight and the extra 'wind catch'.

As for solar, if you have enough 'all year round sun' it's a good thing. BUT, you still have to learn to live with the power that is available on a given day. If it's cloudy don't bake bread or do the washing, we humans must learn to fit in with what nature provides. As well as our hot/ cold air-con and infra-red heating panels and heated towel dryers, we also have a bottled gas fire with hot air blower for the 'other rooms'. You have to be prepared for the unexpected ;) ;) ;).
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

Bill,

You know what my memory is like. Where will you be in the next few weeks, and what is the address? Come to think of it I never knew what the address for Spain is.

My email address is: arnie9155@gmail.com

Both addresses,

Germany and Spain, please.

Arnie ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Pinky
Service details: 1979 JLR RAC. 14/20H then that other regiment. 1979-2003

Post by Pinky »

Arnie - barmy mad !!
Our weather really does change in a blink. I live near the Rockies so the west winds get bumped up and then brings whatever it wants to southern Alberta. Its supposed to be nice into October......lovely jubbly.
Pinky