Today in Parliament

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Today in Parliament

Post by Bill Bentley »

I have just spent a couple of hours, with growing confusion, listening to the House of Commons debate on Afghanistan. Everyone praised our armed forces for their role since 2001 and especially their current role: securing the evacuation of Kabul Airport.
In the same breath they promised to ‚Improve the welfare and support for the ‚mental health‘ of those affected by their experiences'
They also demanded that we provide homes for those who helped us to destroy their own culture and country.
Of course this is the minimum that we are obliged to do !

Comment was made of the millions of livelihoods ruined by being driven from their homes, the untold number of lives wrecked by injury and the roughly 250,000 civilian and almost 100,000 military killed.
There was great admiration for what had been done for the rights of women and girls, for the ‚free press‘ and great concern for what would now become of those who will be left behind.
Much was said about what we must continue to do in the future to maintain our influence and how we should spare no effort or cost in achieving our aims and how we must now increase defence spending after decades of cuts …

Can it be that I have been living on another planet for the past 20 years or so ?

Was it a dream that in recent years INSIDE the UK we have had gangs of ‚groomers‘ abusing and raping our own little girls AND BOYs. Were there not endless cases of priests, social workers, sports and TV personalities systematically abusing our own children. Children who’s education, our own society and social security system had utterly failed to give them the opportunity to grow up to enjoy a safe and fulfilled life.
That those ‚lost children‘ continue to grow up and join gangs creating ‚no go areas‘ for the police and attack the Fire Brigade and Ambulance services who are trying to help them.
That those failed British kids succumb to drugs and booze and become a burden upon the state, the system and finally upon the taxpayer, the average working person !

Are women in the uk equal to men in the uk ?
Does our own education system give girls and boys equal opportunities ?
Does that apply to the North and South, East and West of the UK ?
Does that apply to the rich and the poor alike ?

Do we have a free and objective press ?
Why was Julian Assange treated like he was for exposing the truth ?
Why did the press not use its power to have him freed ?
Why was Julian Assange not given Political Asylum in the UK ?
Where is Julian Assange now … today ?

Why have so many ex-forces personal been forced to live on the streets ? Why help them now ?

I am sorry but our entire system is fucked ! All of those upstairs in parliament have entirely lost contact with the reality on their own streets !
They actually believe that giving false hope to people on the other side of the world is somehow good and noble. When in reality they have failed miserably to care for their own children.

Have those upstairs already forgotten that we left the EU because the EU was broke and following the wrong policies and we didn’t want to keep on funding their insanity ?
Have parliament forgotten that we were in debt before the Corona fiasco and that already our great grand children will still be repaying our borrowings ?
Where do they want to get all of this money from ? I know, from you the tax payer !
So get stuck in to fund the crazy ideology of an utterly nutty political elite, while your own children wither on the vine.

Now I am going to crawl back under my rock and leave the world to face its own mess, though as ever, I do have one last parting tip: Borrow some money and book a long holiday, perhaps on some low laying island, before it sinks. It won’t help, but that’s life :twisted: :twisted:.

Arnie
Service details: Enlisted in 14th/20th King's Hussars on 2 Feb 1959.
Served Hohne and Rheindahlen 1959 - 1962
Libya 1962 Cyprus with C Sqn Dec 1963 - Feb 1964. Returned to Benghazi
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Re: Today in Parliament

Post by Arnie »

Bill,
it seems to me that it is just you and I talking, and for the most part, agreeing with each other.

Spending hours hours listening to debates in the House of Commons is nearly as bad as listening to debates in the House of Lords, god forbid, it ever gets that bad.

Contemplating history, seriously has the world ever been in such a mess. Each generation looks back and ponders about 'the good old days'! I was not aware in my formative years of the state of the world, which incidentally was all during WW2. Went all through the Cold War, which all of us were familiar with, but it seemed to be NEVER as bad as the state of affair nowadays. My hero, Winston Churchill, sly old dog that he was, seemed to me to do things for the good of the Country and the World, not for himself or his 'class'.

I had better leave off writing anymore, because I could go on forever listing what I perceive as the current ills of the planet and you have put it all down so succinctly in your opening submission to this topic.

I think Brenda and I say, nearly every day, how glad we are that we are at this end of our lives and not just beginning. God help our children and theirs.

Keep your chin up and stay safe. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Michael Burgess
Service details: Boy's Sqn RAC 1956 B Sqn Berlin 1958. Stayed Regt Duty till 1990 then RAC Gunnery School till Xmas 2006. Completed 50years and 6 months service.

Post by Michael Burgess »

Hi Old Friends
Interesting to hear your views at this difficult time in history. I like you have from a military aspect served and experienced the affects military intervention has on countries civilian population. So many times governments with all the good intensions think that sending troops in will sort out a countries problems without considering the long term effects left after the withdrawal.
Like you watching the debate in parliment I became angry, frustrated and irritated to see the camera type performance by the opposition mp's
who slated the governing party about their policies but did not offer their policies during press interviews simply using PARTY POLITICS propaganda.
Again as you say many good service lives have been lost trying to change a foreign country with a different religion to conform to western ways.

Hope you and your families are in good health keep safe old Hawks :roll: :oops: :D
Mick/Marion max woof
Pinky
Service details: 1979 JLR RAC. 14/20H then that other regiment. 1979-2003

Post by Pinky »

Read with interest, thanks for sharing.
Pinky