Lockdown.

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
john kerwin
Service details: A sqn 14/20th Kings Hussars, 5th Troop and SHQ Troop. 1962 to 1966/7 and 2nd RTR, Benghazi tripoli cyprus perham down and omagh Ni

Lockdown.

Post by john kerwin »

Are all your keyboards in lockdown ????
Arnie
Service details: Enlisted in 14th/20th King's Hussars on 2 Feb 1959.
Served Hohne and Rheindahlen 1959 - 1962
Libya 1962 Cyprus with C Sqn Dec 1963 - Feb 1964. Returned to Benghazi
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Re: Lockdown.

Post by Arnie »

John,

was thinking exactly the same!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Talking about 'lockdown'. Brenda has added oil painting to her many hobbies so we decided to get rid of her 'standby' computer. What to do with it. All suggestions of selling it, donating it were trumped by "How do we absolutely clear the memory"? It came down to smashing the thing to pieces, particularly the mother board. (was only a cheap one anyway). By god it was difficult. Managed it finally, but was surprised to find it fitted into a plastic shopping bag. My neighbour down stairs should have complained about the noise when we took the hammer to the innards.
Because COVID excuse is still validmy new iMAC has a 4 - 6 week delay in delivery. Only coming from Sydney! I could understand it if it was USA or China, but Sydney??
Persevering with my old one, as you can see!

Arnie :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Post by Bill Bentley »

Hi Guys,

been, still very busy, not had time to spare for a while :x :x

Just caught up with you all moaning about Europe, take a deep breath and enjoy the freedom :!:

As you all know, I was, still am, a total Brexit supporter. What surprises me is how few people understood about what would happen. Here on our camping site in Spain, just so many are 'shocked' that they now have to follow the 'rules'. Actually the rules were always there in EU law but everybody ignored them. Now that the UK is 'out' they get checked in and out of the EU. This allows the border controls to see if anyone was 'on the mainland' for more than 3 months, 90 days, which is the limit for any EU member to be in another member state without registration. The 'rule' has not really changed, but it is now applied.

Well, if you want to win, even at tiddly winks, you also have to know the rules !

Of course even knowing the rules does not make one immune from circumstances. I have a right of abode in Germany, but now live in Spain. I applied for Spanish residency under the old rules as a member of the EU, this is still accepted. But I now have to pursue my right of abode in Germany because that's where I get my pension from ... so I have to go and be photographed and finger-printed, just like a caught illegal immigrant or a criminal; of course that itches my shit !

Much worse however are the side effects of Corona. Our campsite has not had any touring visitors for two full winters now, the main season and so there is a danger that they shall go broke. Who knows what that will mean for us Mobile-home dwellers :? .

So we are searching for a plot of land for ourselves, to move our Mobile-home to. I suppose without all this we would be bored, lounging in the sun reading about deep snow and freezing temperatures in northern Europe :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:.
john kerwin
Service details: A sqn 14/20th Kings Hussars, 5th Troop and SHQ Troop. 1962 to 1966/7 and 2nd RTR, Benghazi tripoli cyprus perham down and omagh Ni

Post by john kerwin »

Well I got a reaction :D .
But Bill what's this SUN thing. :).
Don't know about mobile home, I am thinking of getting planning approval for an igloo.
Pinky
Service details: 1979 JLR RAC. 14/20H then that other regiment. 1979-2003

Post by Pinky »

I can help you out with an igloo!!
pinky
Arnie
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Post by Arnie »

Hi Yall,

don't want to make you jealous but I am sat here at 1230 am and sweating my balls off, actually yes I do want to make you jealous Maybe then you will want to come and join Ric and I!!!! :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Arnie :D :D :D :D :D
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Post by Bill Bentley »

Australia, that's a long way to go for a bit of sunshine. I'll hang around here, in Spain, where the sun comes to us: ca. 3200 hours a year. Ok, ok, we do get the odd week of rain and it can creep down to almost zero at night... sometimes... very rarely. And it gets a bit hot in summer, so we go up north on holiday whilst the tourists pay a fortune to get roasted down here :?.

The good thing is that we can get everywhere by car, so no 'early booking price wars' for flights and digs, no pre-flight PCR tests or long security queues or getting herded on to trains and planes or boats like cattle to the slaughter. And being pensioners we can take a break over the rush hours and drive when it's more relaxed ;).

Man it's good to be on the receiving end for a change.
Had to earn it though, 51 years after joining the army (JLR) before the bastards started to cough-up. Just got to dodge covid for long enough to have made it worth all the effort :lol: :lol: :lol:.
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

Hi Bill and Y'all,

Was only kidding about trying to make you jealous. After 40 years Downunder, truthfully, I get sick of the heat nowadays. Not interested if anybody has calculated how many hours of sunshine we get but it is too much!
Got the OAP at 65 here and a pittance from UK, but didn't retire. You are allowed to work a number of hours a week before it affects your pension, so I finally retired at 73, in 2014. Took me several years before I could relax and the thoughts of guilt went away about not having to work.
The Australian Government have treated us pensioners right royally with subsidies for the cost of living etc. This is particularly true since the Chinese Flu but am looking forward to the restrictions of travel being lifted and we can get foreign holidays and cruises again.

You stay safe and healthy and maybe we will all meet again someday????

Arnie and Brenda.
Pinky
Service details: 1979 JLR RAC. 14/20H then that other regiment. 1979-2003

Post by Pinky »

Hi there,
There's quite a few Hawks in Australia, you should organize a reunion?
Frank Smith could help getting the FB Hawks down under to join in.
Just a thought.......
Pinky
PS. Swap you snow and cold for your sun and heat - any day.
Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley »

Can't hack the cold any more, right foot freezes below 10 C, I likes my 23 C in the house, even then I have a blanket and sneeze if a breeze comes through :(.
Admittedly above 30 C it gets a bit sweaty, but in a sarong under a palm tree I can manage ok if I have something to slurp on.
With more than a couple of days a week above 35 C it's time to head North. There it's back down into my comfort zone 8-).

Some might recall that I was in the National Biathlon Squad, so I know all about snow and ice. Used to train up in Norway and, after a sauna, jump through a hole in the ice to cool off. Fond memories of brass monkey's :lol: :lol:.