Your Health

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Your Health

Post by Bill Bentley »

Your Health !

As anybody who has been reading the posts on Noah’s ARC for a long time will know, Rahi and I were for many years organic self-sufficiency farmers. We bred our own livestock and produced our own meat. We got a vast array of fruits from our orchard and shrubs and more than enough vegetables to feed ourselves. We designed and built our own ecological house and so lived essentially independently of the world outside, other than working for money, which everyone needs !

One day I came home from work feeling pretty grotty and asked Rahi „what will you do when I die“ ? The answer was that she could not manage our little paradise on her own and so she would be forced to sell out. Should anything happen to her, I would be in the same boat. Should either of us (again) become unable to care for ourselves, the situation would be much, much worse !

To sell out in such circumstances, with the gardens in disarray, perhaps the animals: horses, bee’s, sheep, chickens, rabbits, ducks and dogs looking uncared for etc. would not get either of us a good price - for our lifetimes work. So we decided to sell off the livestock, spruce up the gardens and sell out at a good price. For many years we had been scraping through, watching every penny, now we can afford to enjoy life. Our money will not last long, but they can’t take off you what you have already enjoyed !

None of this has changed our view on the value of: breathing clean air, drinking clean water and eating organic food. On the contrary, we are very careful about what we consume.

I should like to start a thread about ‚Your Health‘ where we can perhaps all give each other tips about how to stay healthy and minimise the risks of living.

Of course we have a head start on many and shall no doubt bombard you all with such tips and I hope that you will pass them on to your children and friends, because it is also their health !

As I have often said, there’s no point in pissing into a North Wind, so I shall be happy to continue as long as people respond. If there is no response, I shall have to accept that you are all already dead and so go back to the beach to sun my ass ;).
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Re: Your Health

Post by Bill Bentley »

Because of todays date: 31st December, I have chosen to make my next post as soon as possible, otherwise people could say that I was locking the door after the horse had bolted :oops:.

Breathing clean air:

Incase anybody is still unsure about the poor quality of the air that we all breathe, just think about the enforced wearing of masks during the Covid-19 fiasco. Just because you can’t see the filth it does not mean that it isn’t there !

It’s not just viruses and bugs but also industrial and vehicle exhausts, all forms of heating in private houses, natural and from humans laid forest- and bushfires etc. the burning off of agricultural lands, dust storms and gasses leeching out from the ground itself and even unhealthy evaporations from water that all contaminate the air.

So, finding a thinly populated place to live, where you spend most of your time, is the best thing that you can do.

Also avoiding places that you know will create ‚bad air‘ is not a bad idea :idea:.

Some genius calculated that: on New-Years-eve, the pollution caused by fireworks is equal to 3 months of industrial and vehicle air pollution combined.

Millions of people gather to watch the fireworks and all wonder why in January and February there is always a dramatic increase in the number of lung and breathing conditions and many deaths !
This then gets put down to Winter colds and flu’s. Wearing a PP2 mask for such crazy times (and a couple of days thereafter) could stop millions of people from becoming ill.

Wearing the same mask for days on end also achieves nothing. If you enter a contaminated area the mask must be disposed of and your hands disinfected immediately after leaving the contaminated area. Replacing a previously contaminated mask will actually increase your chances of becoming ill. A mask is a filter, all filters are collecting points for the contaminants and MUST therefor be changed as required :roll: !
Arnie
Service details: Enlisted in 14th/20th King's Hussars on 2 Feb 1959.
Served Hohne and Rheindahlen 1959 - 1962
Libya 1962 Cyprus with C Sqn Dec 1963 - Feb 1964. Returned to Benghazi
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Post by Arnie »

Hi Bill and Rahi, sorry for not responding to these very insightful submissions, but I was too busy (arn't we all) enjoying myself. We here in WA seemed to have been blessed with a State Government which acted with speed to bring out the right measures to the COVID 19 (Kung Flu) pandemic. As a result we have had a relatively peaceful and healthy 2020.
Early on I bought some masks but never found I had to wear one, and it was not compulsory anyway.
Today, 31 January 2021 we have abruptly been awakened to something like the rest of the world has been suffering. All the rules and regulations had been in place but not enforced. This everything, BUT Quarantining outside travellers, was relaxed, thankfully so.
Our State Government today announced that a Security Guard at one of the Quarantine Hotels had tested positive to the virus. Typical bureaucratic nonsense the travellers were quarantined but the hotel staff, including the security staff were allowed to go home at the end of their shifts. So the entire city is in Strict Lockdown from 1800 hrs today, 15 mins ago, for 5 days. Nobody but nobody is allowed outdoors without a mask.
Yes you guessed it, can I find the masks I bought last year. This afternoon I went shopping for the essentials but do you think I can find any store with masks available. Either Brenda will have to make some or we can't cross the threshold.
I can do 5 days standing on my head. Wish I didn't have to tho.

Stay safe and Healthy

Arnie :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pinky
Service details: 1979 JLR RAC. 14/20H then that other regiment. 1979-2003

Post by Pinky »

Hi y'all,
Here in Alberta we've had lock downs and closing of all non essential services etc.
We've had Covid - got it end of October, mild symptoms I managed it with hot toddies !!! Yes seriously.
We are still in a kinda lock down now but daily cases are dropping here, yesterday was about 350.Masks only inside stores etc.
Talk of easing restrictions if numbers keep falling.
I'm hoping we get back to some sorts of normality by September.
Stay safe my fellow Hawks.
ATB
Pinky