Final Moments

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Re: Final Moments

Post by Bill Bentley »

Peter,

nice to get your input. Well spotted ! It is a fact that many ex-pats are more pro-the-homeland than many of those still sat at home moaning about how bad the homeland is ;).
Perhaps we, as ex-pats, have a wider and fuller view, seeing things from outside as opposed to staring at the wall from inside. Even looking through the window, or several windows, just does not let you see as much 8-).
For those that love their country that's great, but this perpetual moaning by the discontented is pretty sick stuff, -self destructive !
:? If people don't like how things are, either they should get involved to change things or leave, many do, that is FREEDOM !

Please note, after many years of trying to change things in Germany, realising that I was pissing into a North Wind and that Merkle has ruined a once prospective country, I chose to leave there :o and I'm better off for it !

However, just to put things in perspective: Having myself lived in Germany for 30+ years and now having retired to Spain I am currently compelled to apply for 'the right of abode' in both of those countries, just like any other 'foreigner'. As I understand it, this will give me the ability to stay in either of those two countries for longer than somebody who is just on a holiday visa. Perhaps more importantly, during these covid times, the right to 'return home' to either of my places of abode. Also as an English (British) passport holder the right of return to GB. It's nice to have options :!:

In theory I get taxed in the UK and Germany on any (very small) pensions that I get in each country. By choosing Spain as my tax-residency country they will add all my world incomes together and tax me accordingly. The good thing is that Spain are very socially orientated and there is no tax on 'government service pensions' (civil-service, teachers, military, police, firefighters etc.), also foreign government service pensions ! So, as I am a low income pensioner and I do not have property assets exceeding 700k, or more than 50k in any savings-bank accounts, I should not have to pay any tax here either. (The value of cars, caravans, mobile-homes, boats and other such assets are not interesting for tax purposes).

They are happy that I spend my foreign earned money here and so help to employ their workers and so support them in that way.

I didn't make the rules, I just try to abide by them and use them to my own best advantage ;).

While I have a great affection for GB and Germany, old bones prefer the warm winter sunshine to the freezing northern winters and I can highly recommend it :). Brexit or no Brexit :lol:.
Pinky
Service details: 1979 JLR RAC. 14/20H then that other regiment. 1979-2003

Post by Pinky »

Howdy,
Peter, unfortunately we are three folk (expats) who follow and post on the forum regularly, purely coincidently.
Bill, I personally prefer a strong union but if Scotland want out - let them go.
ATB
Pinky
Arnie
Service details: Enlisted in 14th/20th King's Hussars on 2 Feb 1959.
Served Hohne and Rheindahlen 1959 - 1962
Libya 1962 Cyprus with C Sqn Dec 1963 - Feb 1964. Returned to Benghazi
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Post by Arnie »

Hi Bill and Yall,
I spent 3 - 4 hours yesterday composing a response to your submission about why Northern Ireland is NOT told to go their own way. In my own verbose way it was a massive missive (see there I go again). When I pressed the "submit" key the lot disappeared, never to be found again. This has happened to me several times, so I will send my verbose, lengthy opinions in several short(er) pieces.

In my involvement with NI BIO shows 6 years in all, I met a wide variety of the population, most from the North of the island. This meant that when the involvement with the place ended, in whatever place I found myself, Berlin, Preston and Western Australia I was asked my opinion of what I considered the 'future' was for them. (Intermission) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Arnie
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Post by Arnie »

Part 2.

This part contains a brief history of what formed my opinion.

"In 1953 a Dixon of Dock Green type copper was standing on a street corner in Felsted when a heavily laden van slowly drove past him. The van had a long convoy of vehicles, driven by honking, irate drivers. He stopped the van and it transpired that it was full of military weapons. The two occupants, turned out to be a Cathal Goulding, later to be the leader of the Official IRA (OIRA), and a guy called John Stevenson, when he changed his name it became Sean Macstephoin, future leader of the Provisional IRA (PIRA). They had stolen the weapons from a CCF (Combined Cadet Force) armoury at some school.

As you all know, or should know, both were very much the leading lights in the IRA until they split the IRA in the very early 1970s. Goulding was an avowed Marxist so the OIRA became a left leaning organisation and the PIRA stayed very much the thuggish organisation it had always been.

The OIRA always embraced political attempts at a Ceasefire but the PIRA, until the Belfast Commander of the PIRA, Gerry Adams was finally able to persuade the members to go to the negotiations for an end to the "war"? (Intermission) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

Part 3.

Although I may be trying to teach my Grandmother to suck eggs, a little bit of the demographics finally leading to the opinion of the future of the place, which changed considerably in the intervening years. It might still occur, in post Brexit Europe.

Again as you know, the island of Ireland is composed of 3 of the 4 provinces of Ireland and the 4 province being Ulster the fourth. The Republic is mainly Catholic with some minorities, one being some (?) Protestants. Ulster (NI) is mainly Protestants, and some minorities including a very large Catholic minority.
It is beyond question that the Catholics in NI were treated abominably by the Protestants. Finally, in the late 1960s they had had enough and the most recent 'Troubles' began.

It was during the start of the 'Troubles' and the End of the 'Troubles that I heard of the formation of the TOM (Troops Out Movement) (which the Westminster Government considered a subversive org. Many times I had occasion to talk to people in TOM and never failed to persuade them of the fallacy of the ideology. (Intermission) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

Part 4.

If the Northern part of Ireland were to be told to go their own way there would be chaos in a predictable way.

Be in no doubt that, without the steadying hand (tongue in cheek) of the Westminster Government, the Unionist Protestants would start to massacre the Republican Catholics. This, despite the demise of Ian Paisley, who instilled in his many, many followers an absolute loathing of Catholics.

This would then prompt the Republic of Ireland to do the same to their very timid Protestant minority followed by movement to the north to protect fellow Catholics. This would be, in essence a Civil War, and the feelings, believe me, run very deep indeed.

IF, if this was followed by a peaceful solution, another scenario comes into play. Remember the rift in the IRA? The clash of those 2 ideologies would come into play and yet again the very well used arms dumps will be dug up yet again.

Aren't I an old cynic.

Maybe Boris could sort out the imagined mess or maybe Michel Barnier.
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Post by Bill Bentley »

Arnie,

thanks for your account. I accept that your own in depth knowledge on the subject is superior to mine. Though I did serve with three units in uniform and one in civi's. My areas of responsibility were more localised security, not political ideologies as such.

I don't doubt that the 'Troubles' would flare up again, but if the North were independent, it would be an EU problem to stop Paddy from going mad ! And, have the North not been saying all along that they, like Scotland, voted to remain in the EU ?

Also, that what we perhaps most dislike about modern society and the EU - wetbackism and poncification (I made those words up) should work in favour of reducing the support for maniacs. The youth of of today are not the same as 50 years ago.

That said, previous British governments never gave a toss as to what happened to the other colonies that we left alone to fight things out :( .

Freeing Northern Ireland to do it's own thing may well be a step towards Irish unification, but that does not have to be a bad thing for them or us ;).
Pinky
Service details: 1979 JLR RAC. 14/20H then that other regiment. 1979-2003

Post by Pinky »

Howdy,
Not sure if the Republic of Ireland would want Northern Ireland to be honest, its a huge headache for all concerned. Sounds great on paper 'a united Ireland' but in practice a potential nightmare. Does the R.O.I. have the stomach or the resources to manage the marching season, the corruption and the many other 'divide' issues - I doubt it.
ATB
Pinky
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

Hi Yall,

One of my Indian Territories was a place called the Ardboe, on the Western side of Lough Neagh. In the earlier troubles this was kept in check by the RUC 'B' Specials, little units from the surrounding villages. They knew who the 'bad' boys were and in an emergency manned road blocks leading from the Ardboe, telling the 'bad' boys to get back into their own area. In this way the 'bad' boys could not and did not cause mayhem anywhere else in the Protestant areas.

To give those who do not know, some idea of the depth of feelings about being part of the UK. Two stories illustrating this feeling.

1. One, among many of the vilages providing the manpower for the RUC 'B' Specials surrounding the Ardboe, is called Coagh (pronounced Coke, like the drink). There is one pub in the place and every night they had some form of entertainment, even if it was only a guitarist and a sing song. At closing time whatever or whoever, provided the music played the National Anthem. Everybody, and I do mean everybody stood rigidly to attention and either saluted or put hand on heart while they ALL sang along.

Having been warned by the RUC SB I was aware of the consequences for not doing the same. Most of the people knew who I was and what I was, but had I not followed their example, even me, a member of HM Forces would at least receive a severe beating out-back.

2. I was out drinking one night with an acquaintance who I knew, (he was a member of the RUC B Specials.) Having had a win on the 'horses' that day he was pissed as a rat and eventually fell asleep. Nobody bothered him so he was sound asleep. Suddenly he roused himself, as only drunks can, smashed his clenched fist on the table and shouted "Why should I be ruled by these Fenian bastards?"
At no time during the earlier part of the night had politics, or religion been discussed, but he must have been dreaming about it.
I believe it will take many generations for this depth of feeling to disappear. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley »

Pinky,

I was talking about giving the North Independence ! With perhaps a few years of financial support and perhaps a Trading Agreement.

If the South couldn't afford the North or didn't want it that's their decision, but it would remove the illegal and immoral situation of Britain dominating a part of their physical island.

Should we all not be looking for a long term solution to the problems that face us, rather than worrying about who trod on who's toes in the past :idea: .

Arnie,

I know, I know.

But how many of them loyalists would refuse the chance of cheap land and or a good job and housing on the mainland, were that to be a part of the deal ? How many of those that refused such an offer and stayed in the North, would bomb and shoot our security forces... back on the mainland ? Because British forces would no longer be 'over there'. And such terrorists would have to get into GB via customs, a very different situation to the North / South border.